Hello from Australia

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

G'day there fellow guitar noisemakers ;-)

A bit about myself;

My name is Stein and I am originally from Norway. That's where I first picked up a guitar when I was quite young as I had a friend who played very well. I never really got the hang of it, but learned a few cords (5 or so) - the only two I can name is E and C. Two of the others are the same as E played with fret 5 barred and the E? on fret 6 and 7, the other with fret 7 barred (you get the idea)...

I didn't touch the guitar again for years and years. Anyway, when I was 28 I moved to Australia, worked as a Computer Programmer at Wollongong University for 21 years when I resigned and moved to the nice and warm Darwin.

To cut a long story short, now that I'm getting old and have some time on my hand, I got my hands on an Yamaha Pacifica 312II and have become interested in 'trying to' learn to play a bit again.

I have gone through David's beginner part 1 and don't really have any problem with those cords (except A, I got fat fingers) :-(

My favorite band of all time is Pink Floyd, runner up is Dire Straits - but I doubt I will ever be able to play any of their music (is it even possible to play Wish you were here on ONE guitar?)

Ok, that's enough rambling from me, great to meet you all and I will no go read some more postings in this group.

-Sik

Posted : 12/12/2006 6:47 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN Stein.

I have spent a lot of time in Norway (Tromso, Trondheim, Bodo and Harstadt (sp?) ). What a beautiful country. Why on earth would you want to leave it? :wink:

Don't worry about not being able to play your favourites. With practice, patience, persistence and perseverence anything is possible. I've been playing for jus about a year and I'm currently working on Money For Nothing by Dire Straits. It may not be one of their most technical pieces but its a good place to start.

I also use a Pacifica. A very underrated guitar IMHO.

Good luck with your musical journey and I look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 12/12/2006 7:00 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Sik! Welcome to GN! 8)

Glad to see you picked up the guitar again. I hope it gives you many many hours of enjoyment. As for "Wish You Were Here", yes it can be played on 1 guitar, and David has 2 great lessons, (1 in beginners songs, and 1 in intermediate songs), on the home page for it as well. :wink:

Hope to see you around the boards! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 12/12/2006 11:33 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome Stein!

Greetings from the antipodes! :)

We share the some favorite groups (I also like others) but I always like Pink Floyd and Dire Straits. Now I'm learning the "Local Hero" solo. I think it's easy (I'm a beginner too).

Also I'm working on other songs (basically Christmas and Spanish ones) but "Wish you were here" is planned to next month. Did you see the David's version?

Posted : 12/12/2006 11:59 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 12/12/2006 12:03 pm
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Welcome Stein!

Greetings from the antipodes! :)

We share the some favorite groups (I also like others) but I always like Pink Floyd and Dire Straits. Now I'm learning the "Local Hero" solo. I think it's easy (I'm a beginner too).

Also I'm working on other songs (basically Christmas and Spanish ones) but "Wish you were here" is planned to next month. Did you see the David's version?

Greetings,

No I haven't looked at it yet as I myself have gotten into the Christmas spirit. I Have spent most of today on 'Drummer Boy' - seen a fair few variants and I just stumbled upon David's article which I will get into tomorrow. It's getting late here and my fingers are sore ;-)

-Sik

Posted : 12/12/2006 12:49 pm
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Welcome to GN Stein.

I have spent a lot of time in Norway (Tromso, Trondheim, Bodo and Harstadt (sp?) ). What a beautiful country. Why on earth would you want to leave it? :wink:

-- Snip --

8)

You're right in that it's beautiful, but did you notice the temperature of the place ;-) I like it nice and warm now in my old(ish) days :-)

-Sik

Posted : 12/12/2006 2:20 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I did manage to go for a swim in Tromso during the summer one time. Admittedly I wasn't in the water for long :shock: but it was quite an experience lying on the beach with snow on the mountains.

Love the long days but the long nights take a bit of getting used to. :lol:

The summers can be quite nice but the winters are a bit harsh for my liking. I can see why you went to Oz. :lol:

Still a beautiful country though.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 12/12/2006 5:22 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

No I haven't looked at it yet as I myself have gotten into the Christmas spirit. I Have spent most of today on 'Drummer Boy'

Curiously I'm also practicing that Christmas song! :lol:

Posted : 12/12/2006 10:42 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Hey Sik, welcome to GN man. You seem to have a similar taste in music as me. David's lessons are great you have to check them out.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 13/12/2006 12:13 am
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Salutations all,

I just remembered something I used to play 'as a kid', can't remember the name of it but it's pretty simple (and I still messed it up)... Just for the record, this is the FIRST recording I have ever made of me playing on the computer... Haven't gotten around to buy any picks yet so I cut a bit of plastic out of an old drivers license... sounds terrible, but goes to prove that I'm a newbie as it says to the left of my posts ;-)

http://sikrav.zoomshare.com/files/01_-_Sik.wma

PS... My fat fingers also gets in the way at times... but at least I'm practicing :-)

-Sik

Posted : 13/12/2006 5:54 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Hei Stein!

Welcome! I haven't left Norway (yet?) :-)
See you around

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 14/12/2006 9:26 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN. You've been following some great guitarists. That's some serious inspiration. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 17/12/2006 3:50 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Sik! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 17/12/2006 8:08 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome!

#4491....

Posted : 27/12/2006 12:17 pm