Clear all

Hello from Chippenham, UK

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@geoff-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello everbody, I have been lurking for a while, after stumbling across the GN web site. thanks to Nick and Alan G for sorting out my registration problem.

My guitar history - so far.
About 8 years ago my girlfriend (now wife) bought me a basic Vintage acoustic lefty, as I had always wanted to learn, but arrived in my mid forties without ever getting one. She then enrolled me as a complete beginner at the local college for a course of 12 or so lessons, this was useful at first, but I found that we were only progressing at the pace of the slowest class member. I began to grab some tab of my favourite songs and tried a few of the songs for beginners and intermediates from GN lessons. Excellent lessons, certainly for me - thank you all.

A friend who played electric rythym in an Elvis tribute band put together for a charity gig, asked if I would be interested in playing acoustic. Wow, several practises later and after learning to strum 20 or so Elvis hits using mostly the basic chords, I played my first and (almost) only gig. After that event, sadly the band members moved in different directions, but I had the bug!

Unfortunately, due to the arrival of our two boys and the lack of a project to focus on, I put my guitar away .

About a month ago, I decided I would allocate some time again to practise and began to read this site once again. Thanks to GN lessons I have began to re-learn some of the beginners and intermediate songs I first tried a few years back. I am doing quite well with Losing My Religion, Love is All Around, Dock of the Bay and a couple of others. I have been studying a bit of the theory as well, and have just started some of the scales theory. The song I have spent most time over however, is Fields of Gold. The lessons are interesting but I particularly like the structure, which introduce techniques whilst learning songs, which is after all what we wish to do.

Sorry about the length of intro. looking forward very much to joining in on some of the discussions and learning from you all.

Geoff

Posted : 19/07/2007 9:31 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN !

You have introduced yourselves to us in a brilliant manner and here at GN, we love to read lengthy descriptions about you or your experiences. So don't be shy while making long posts.

I am sure you will be a great member here and I am happy to find yet another 'lefty' guitarist here.

Good Luck. Play well and play often.

Rahul

Posted : 19/07/2007 9:55 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hello there, Geoff, and welcome to GN! I hope you get as much out of this site as I have!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/07/2007 10:16 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 19/07/2007 10:17 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Geoff! :D

Welcome to GN!

Posted : 19/07/2007 10:22 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Geoff! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 20/07/2007 12:01 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to the GN forums, Geoff!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 20/07/2007 1:16 am
(@geoff-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you all for the kind welcome. Look forward to the learning.

Regards

Geoff

Posted : 20/07/2007 7:48 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Welcome Geoff,

This is a great site, enjoy it mate. I'm a lefty too.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 20/07/2007 11:43 am
(@alangreen)

Welcome aboard Geoff, glad you finally made it through the border patrols.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 20/07/2007 1:44 pm
(@geoff-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you Alan. Happy to be here at last.

Dogsbody,

Thank you also for the welcome, I have just been reading about some of your exploits with your bro. I think you are about the nearest I've seen geographically to Chippenham, so far. Lots of Brits though. What a great site.

That's not Lefty you then in your avatar??

Cheers

Geoff

Posted : 20/07/2007 2:24 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Geoff! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/07/2007 9:21 pm