Notifications
Clear all

Hello from Guadalajara, México

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@patoid)
Topic starter

Hi everyone, I've been a follower of Guitar Noise for some teime but only recently I've decided to join the forum.

I've been playing guitar and bass for 15 years now. Sometimes more, sometimes less, I'm not a pro, I actually do engineering for a living and I've ocasionally worked on music-related projects. My actual best job in the world would be developing guitar effects for a company like Line6, I would get to play guitar AND do my engineering at the same time.

I've recently joined a rock cover band. I joined this band cause I've been mostly recording my own "concept" and "abstract" music for a couple of years and I was noticing myself getting into a comfort zone. A friend told me his band was looking for a lead guitarist and they play some interesting rock tunes that I have not played so I decided to jump in and start breaking out of my comfort zone again.

I own a couple of guitars and I'm looking to buy a third one very soon. My guitars are a Yamaha Pacifica 112, my very first electric from 15 years ago. I can't let that guitar go, or it can't let me go. Either way, it's a cheap guitar but it plays awesomelly smooth. The neck on that thing is so easy to play. It's a cheap guitar, has a big hole, for the pickups instead of individual holes, it has some intonation problems due to the cheap-o bridge, there's fret buzz in the G string...but it plays so easily...I'm thinking of buying a nicer body and using that neck...

I alsoo own a 1977 Ibanez Musician. I bought that guitar because I fell in love with the body. Neck-through, beautiful woods, soft fingerboard. Only problem was it soundes like shit, all bright and not in the good way. I've worked several times on it, changed the pickups, tuners, parts of the bridge, all the electrical cabling and now it sounds and plays like a dream. It's my main axe, plays fast, has great tone and a lot of tones (I put in serial-parallel switching and single coil switching). My only problem now is that is kinda hummy and it gets more hummy when I drop the volume...I'll post about that in the repair forum.

I also own a Warmoth Jazz Bass...it's a wonderful beast of a base. I don't currently play bass in a band, I just use it for my personal recordings.

Sorry for the long long text, I'm on vacations and I have time.

If you're interested in some experimental guitar music, here's my Soundcloud page:

http://soundcloud.com/patoid

Posted : 07/04/2012 3:23 am
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Hi patoid

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy it here. Good introduction.

Posted : 07/04/2012 6:14 am
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Hola, and welcome.

I visited Guadalajara once and found it to be a delightful city. Nice weather, and nice people who were very tolerant with my baby-talk Spanish and my thumbing through the phrase book to converse with them (that was before smart phones with translation apps).

I also heard some great Mariachi music there!!!

Since you've been a lurker, you already know this is a nice, civilized forum, so there is no need to tell you.

Good luck with your music.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 07/04/2012 3:53 pm