Notifications
Clear all

Hello from Illinois

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@zoneiii)
Topic starter

I may be the oldest beginner here! I played guitar back in the 60s but I was never any good. In 1970, I traded my Mosrite guitar for a Guild 12-string and sold my Gretsch Viking to someone who deserved it. I put the 12-string away and forgot about it. My son, who, unlike me, actually had talent, became a very accomplished guitarist and he even played a set with Buddy Guy. But he must have taken the old Guild to parties and beaches when he was a teenager because it became an old beater over the years. I retired as an engineer early about 9 years ago and about three years ago I dug around in the closet and found the old Guild. It was a mess and I almost just tossed it in the garbage. But being a very good woodworker who has builds and restores museum grade period furniture, I had the skills to totally restore the guitar so I did. I then took it to a luthier to re-set the neck and set it up and the Guild is now more beautiful and plays better than it did when new. But I put it away for a couple years until recently. I'm having a ball with it now and I am making faster progress than I did when I was young and this website has been a huge help to me.

I'm also a professional large format photographer. Check out my temporary website if you like. http://tjohnstonphoto.com/

I'll probably be posting lots of questions in the beginners forum. It's so much fun to be playing again!

Posted : 06/10/2009 2:50 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 06/10/2009 10:03 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise! We look forward to seeing you around the forums!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 06/10/2009 4:37 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise! We look forward to seeing you around the forums!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 06/10/2009 4:38 pm
(@cd-60-blk)
Eminent Member

Hi, I spend more time on this site reading everything then I do practicing the guitar now but its worth it, I've learned allot and when you do have a question your pretty much guaranteed a response or 10. See you around the forums, Cheers'

Where do you get your energies? Well its a vicious circle thing, If I hadn't ever played an instrument then I wouldn't ever need to play one. But now that I've been playing, I need to play. - Eric Clapton 1967 RollingStone interview

Posted : 06/10/2009 7:19 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Hi. This forum helped me in my beginner stage, a lot, so your in good hands.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

Posted : 09/10/2009 11:01 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 09/10/2009 12:44 pm