Notifications
Clear all

Hello from North Texas

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@wallyw26)
Topic starter

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm Wally, a mid 50's beginner (playing since September, 2006). My guitar is a nice Epiphone Dot, in cherry of course, and the amp is a small Kustom, which is all I need for now. Musical interests included 60's-70's oldies, standards in the Steve Tyrell and Diana Krall style and blues. Favorite guitarists include Mike Bloomfield, Joe Walsh, and the players who provide that perfect jazzy point-counterpoint to great singers. I'm progressing slowly, working my way through all the rookie problems (barre chord hell) but enjoying the learning experience immensely. I could possibly qualify as a somewhat unique player, besides being a true LEFTY playing left handed, I was fortunate to receive a heart transplant in March of this year. Needless to say, playing the guitar is good post surgical therapy! Thanks! I'd love to hear from some lefty players too.

Posted : 01/05/2007 5:03 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Wally.

Great to hear that you're recovering well and that guitar is proving therapeutic.

Look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 01/05/2007 5:15 pm
(@satch_da_man)
Trusted Member

welcome...from another new guy...

Posted : 01/05/2007 6:12 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Welcome, Wally.
There's a (new) southpaw thread here:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=19696&start=0
:)

Don

Posted : 01/05/2007 6:34 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Wally! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 01/05/2007 7:11 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN and congratulations on your successful heart transplant!

A book I read years ago that has stayed with me was The Heart's Code: Tapping the Wisdom and Power of Our Heart Energy, by Paul Pearsall. It talks about cellular memory, particularly in organ transplant recipients.

If you exhibit a sudden leap in fretboard skills, I guess we'll conclude that your donor was a guitarist. :wink:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 01/05/2007 7:19 pm
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Wally -
Welcome :D

I'm a big fan of Bloomfield and the James Gang as well! 8)

Glad to hear that your doing well. :D
We'll see ya around the boards.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 01/05/2007 7:42 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Wally! Always nice to welcome another Texan (there are actually quite a few of us here!). I'm on the other side of Fort Worth, in Weatherford. About 60 to 70 miles from you. Have you washed away with all this rain lately? :D We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 01/05/2007 9:24 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Wally! Always nice to welcome another Texan (there are actually quite a few of us here!). I'm on the other side of Fort Worth, in Weatherford. About 60 to 70 miles from you. Have you washed away with all this rain lately? :D We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

You get RAIN in Texas? When I was there, the lowest daytime temperature was 95 degrees.....and in the UK we've just had the warmest April for 400 years! Must have brought some of that Texas weather back with us!

(Actually it did rain once while we were there - it was amazing to watch steam coming up off the pavements, half-an-hour later you'd never know it had rained!)

Welcome to GN Wally! Look after that heart, not many people get a second chance at life! I don't know who Steve Tyrell and Diane Krall are, but Bloomfield and Joe Walsh are on my playlist....and my wife reckons that musically speaking, I've still got at least one foot (and both hands!) stuck in the 60's and 70's.....

I don't know about post-surgical therapy though - when I was a beginner, my blood pressure would have broken a few sphygmanometers!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/05/2007 11:36 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

You get RAIN in Texas? When I was there, the lowest daytime temperature was 95 degrees.....and in the UK we've just had the warmest April for 400 years! Must have brought some of that Texas weather back with us!

(Actually it did rain once while we were there - it was amazing to watch steam coming up off the pavements, half-an-hour later you'd never know it had rained!)

Vic

ROFL!! :lol: That's because you came while we were at the beginning of a 2 year drought!!! We were burning (literally) not long after you were here!!! We've had enough rain in the last few months (and it seems like most of it in the last two weeks!!), to break the drought! Hooray! Texas won't burn this year!!!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/05/2007 4:33 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.

Glad the heart replacement went well.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 02/05/2007 4:46 pm
(@wallyw26)
Topic starter

You folks west of the "town of the Cow" (Ft. Worth) have really gotten soaked. I live near Lake Ray Hubbard and while it's gained water it's still several feet low....same with Lake Lavon which is my town's source of water.

Thanks to everyone for their support on my surgery. Margaret mentioned a book that I'm going to have to check out as I've heard a lot about some of the curiosities that happen to transplant patients. The guitar is in the shop for a set up....we'll see what happens when I get it back this weekend!

I'll check out the new lefty forum. Thanks for that link!

Wally

Posted : 02/05/2007 7:50 pm
(@wallyw26)
Topic starter

I don't know who Steve Tyrell and Diane Krall are, but Bloomfield and Joe Walsh are on my playlist....and my wife reckons that musically speaking, I've still got at least one foot (and both hands!) stuck in the 60's and 70's.....

Tyrell and Krall are jazz oriented and "standards" oriented. Both have several CD's out. Tyrell is a Texas boy and is primarily an Artist and Rep guy who took up singing. Raspy and soulful his background accompaniment is very tasteful.

Krall is married to Elvis Costello. She's from Vancouver Island, British Columbia and is rooted in jazz, one of her idols is Nat King Cole. She is an excellent pianist. And her group is simple....drums, guitar, bass and piano.

Both do a nice job of bringing the great American song book up to date.

Wally

Posted : 02/05/2007 8:02 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Wally. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 03/05/2007 5:44 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

"town of the Cow"
ROFL! :lol:

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 03/05/2007 5:59 pm
Page 1 / 2