Clear all

Hello from Surrey UK

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@shizuku)
Topic starter

Hi all,

I've been learning for about a year now but I have to admit my progress is not as great as I'd like it to be or as is could be. I have a rather good teacher but I have always been a rebel at my own detriment of course. I am 31 now and really and truly want to play the guitar WELL!!! Music has always been my number 1 love in life but sometimes life really does get in the way.

My teacher is taking me through grade 6 Rock School right now. Please don't let that fool you though... I am like a sponge, I absorb information and my teacher (and the previous teacher too) says music comes easy to me but:

Problem 1) I prefer to learn by osmosis. That's the way my brain works best, that's why with my teacher I pick things up at the speed of light. If I could jam with people all day everyday I'd learn so much more!
Problem 2) I don't work well on my own. It's not lack of motivation, far from it. It's not procrastination either... it's fear of failure :(

I fear wasting time on the wrong exercise, I fear going in one direction when I should be going in another. There is so much material out there, books, websites, videos, tabs, notation, and everyone says: There is NO ONE WAY to learn guitar. Sometimes I wish there was!!

I am frustrated as hell and just want to get on with something tried and tested.
I will be asking a lot of questions here and hopefully someone will tell me what's worked for them.

Hope to have a lot of fun with all of you!

Posted : 21/01/2010 7:11 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Ask away. Someone here will be able and willing to answer your questions.

Glad you found us and Welcome to the best guitar forum out there.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 24/01/2010 2:39 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hello and welcome. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 25/01/2010 12:07 am
(@shizuku)
Topic starter

Thank you for the warm welcome :)
It's amazing how things can seem all doom and gloom and after several long months things seem to resolve themselves!

I have found a structured way of learning to play the guitar.
Gotta admit the progress that I made in 3 days is scary to say the least but I am so very glad.

I will no doubt be asking more intelligent questions than I would have asked had things not suddenly clicked.
now Im off to practice some more!

Thank you again 8)

Posted : 26/01/2010 7:38 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Grade 6 ?

Then you are really good than many of us here... 8)

Welcome Aboard.

Posted : 29/01/2010 9:27 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 13/02/2010 1:05 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Welcome aboard.

Glad to hear you found yourself a nice learning/practice schedule

Keep it going!

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

Posted : 19/02/2010 8:50 am