Clear all

Help what can i do?

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@arwhalen)
Topic starter

Gday all
Ive been a lazy learner for the past 20 yrs and only pick up when im bored (or Drunk) but i love having a bash but latly ive lost all motivation and have not touched my guitars for about 6 months. whats happening? what can I do ? can anybody help?

Posted : 13/07/2008 10:04 am
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

firstly....welcome :)

'lazy learner'....same as me then :D

I'm sure that besides getting drunk more often,you will find some good inspiration on here..this site has all you need for a kick start 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 13/07/2008 10:24 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ha, sounds like the story of my life, but substitute 30 years for 20 in between picking up a guitar and finding Guitarnoise. I found that by visiting daily, and reading a lot of posts, I was assimilating knowledge I'd never have picked up if left to my own devices and learning from books.

There's only one cure for laziness - find what motivates you, and keep it at the front of your mind. My motivation was simply wanting to become a better guitarist - and I've found that if you want something badly enough, you'll work for it, and if you're willing to put the work in, you WILL get better.

I am by nature lazy - fortunately, I'm also highly inquisitive, and if something piques my interest, that's motivation enough for me.

Welcome to GN!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/07/2008 9:27 pm
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

My advice, for what it's worth: find a way to keep it fun. If you are having fun, you will keep doing it.

Posted : 14/07/2008 2:37 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Drink more? :D

2 things that come to mind: pick a song you want to learn to play and set a goal or find someone to jam with, having someone else will motivate you.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 14/07/2008 4:17 pm
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member

Definitely find a couple of songs you love or inspire you. Then learn to play them, all the way through. Both the lead and rhythm. I've only been playing a month, after a 15 year absences where I was only into 6 months. The reason I quit 15 years ago was lack of direction. There was no internet, so there where no online resources such as this, no free lessons sites, such as youtube and justinguitar.com and others. Now, after going through and reading and watching all these sites, its like a floodgate opened. I'm better now in 1 month then I was at 6 with no help. Also, check out some computer software, such as eMedia's Guitar lessons, Jamorama, and Metal Method... all great instructional software I have started using.

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

Posted : 14/07/2008 9:37 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

What they said,,, :wink:
Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 14/07/2008 10:06 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN!

As was said, coming here and reading how others are learning and playing motivates me to want to keep going.
Also, the lessons are great and working at it and getting a song down will charge you up to learn something else.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 15/07/2008 6:55 pm
(@voice-and-music)

Hi ...I'm new here but I've been playing guitar for about 37 years and still learning new stuff.
I run a music school in Adelaide South Australia.I do a small amount of teaching ...but I prefer not to.
I think we all get bored with playing every now and then and I find the trick is to jam with someone
who is on the same level and wave length........or buy a new guitar!!!! that'll do it every time.
It's very hard to keep motivated when their is just your self. I have a duo...myself and a singer.
We practice every week and it keeps playiong and learning new songs ...and having FUN !!!

John
www.singinglessonsadelaide.com.au
Adelaide.South Australia

Posted : 10/09/2008 7:50 am