Clear all

Hey Howdy Hey!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@thompssc)
Topic starter

Hi all,

I'm a new guitar player looking to learn quite a bit. I guess I'll mention a little about me personally and my musical experience. I'm currently studying Finance and Accounting at Indiana University and am about to start my 3rd year. I play on the IU drumline and am considering joining the basketball band this coming year. My primary instrument is percussion, and I've been playing since 7th grade. I've played drumset for church and youth group as well as with my dad who plays guitar, I've done drumline for the past 6 years, and I've played orchestral percussion all through high school (so I do have some melodic experience and a decent understanding of theory). Over the past few years I've started singing, just on my own, in the car, wherever really. But I've never had any formal training. I really want to learn guitar because drums rock and all, but I'd like to be able to play something melodic. You can't really write a song on drums, ya know?

My long term goals include to be somewhat of a jack-of-all trades:
-Play piano proficiently
-Play rhythm guitar
-Play lead guitar (maybe not extraordinarily well, but at least fairly decently)
-Sing harmony
-Be able to hold my own with a bass guitar

I really want to learn to sing harmony. I can sing melody very well, I have very good ability to sing correct pitches in tune and have a fairly good "mobility?" in my voice? Ability to jump around pitches I guess. I can even improvise a melody line singing along with chords. But I can't sing harmony for the life of me. I just can't hear it, I've never had that training. I want to get to the point where I can not just sing a rehearsed harmony part, but to where I can just sing along with any song and harmonize with it.

But right now I'm working on guitar. I can play a handful of chords, a few basic songs, and look forward to learning more. I love all styles of music pretty much, although what I'm learning now is slower. Sometime this week I'll try to get a video of me playing and singing so you all can get a picture of where I'm at.

I'm stoked to be here! This place is an excellent resource!

Posted : 14/06/2011 4:56 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome friend! Good luck and all the best with your goals - that sounds like you will really progress into making music. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 19/06/2011 6:09 pm