Notifications
Clear all

Hey, I'm Ryan. I'm new here.

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ryank)
Topic starter

So, I was having some problems with my tube amp and I decided to come here to see if anyone knows of the problem I'm having. I will save that for another part of the forum, though.

The tube amp I speak of is a Crate Vintage Club 30 that I got on Craigslist for a solid $250. Crates usually suck major ass, but, if you don't know about the Vintage Clubs already, I ask you nicely to hold your breath until you've experienced the wrath.

I bought my first guitar a few years ago in high school. (I'm now 20.) I bought it and never had the determination to learn how to play the thing. I, eventually, moved out of my parents house and started picking it up and playing much more often. I'm not as good as I should be, but I've been playing a lot more than usually, lately. Hence the new tube amp purchase and ditching of my 15W solid state Kustom.

The first guitar I bought was a J. Reynold's Les Paul rip-off. Despite being a cheap-feeling guitar, it did me well for the first year or so I really started picking it up and playing.

Now, I just received my new guitar at my doorstep today. Another generic guitar, but, so far, this thing rules. It's a Japanese copy of the Gibson ES-335 12-string by a company called Starfire. I bought it on eBay from Silverspringsmusic for a whopping $170.00. Let me tell you, for a $170 dollar guitar, it has its imperfections, but when you turn the knobs just right, you're in Byrds-heaven. It will do me good until I feel I'm worthy of a Rickenbacker.

Which leads me to my next small paragraph. I never really listened to music until I got in to high school. That was when my older friend started introducing me to stuff like Bardo Pond, Six Organs of Admittance, and Sun City Girls. After looking for more psychedelic music, I came across the holy-grail of 60s psych/garage/folk-rock, Nuggets. Ever since then, I've been pretty hooked on everything from the 60s with a punk snarl to it. When it comes down to it, though, I love me some folk rock the most. The Byrds, Love, The Beau Brummels, The Dovers, etc. These are the bands that got me to purchasing a 12-string electric. Modern bands like The Quarter After who replicate that sound tend to get a lot of playing 'round here. Also, just found out about Daptone Records and have been getting some high doses of that funky soul.

Well, that's that...

Posted : 21/06/2008 9:39 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Nice intro !

Welcome to GN and I hope you find a place for your interests here.

Posted : 22/06/2008 7:21 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Ryan!

I'm with you on the "Nuggets" album - I still have my old vinyl copy somewhere but it desperately needs replacing with a CD. A real goldmine!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/06/2008 7:51 am
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN!

Posted : 22/06/2008 11:39 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 22/06/2008 12:32 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Ryan! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 22/06/2008 4:22 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Ryan! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 28/06/2008 11:25 am