Notifications
Clear all

Hi, I'm astounded

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@essie)
Topic starter

Hi All, I'm astounded by this site. I found it in a roundabout way, i.e looking for information on Russ Shipton. I am retiring from work and decided to learn to play guitar to while away the lonely hours. (I have a sarcastic bent) someone recommended his books. I didn't know there was a cd. with them.
I will spend sometime reading old posts.
So far I have almost mastered A chord D and E but how long before my fingertips stop hurting?

Posted : 31/08/2015 11:46 am
(@aurora)
Trusted Member

LOL, I'm waiting for that to happen too. I lost my calluses when I had to stop playing due to tendinitis so I have to build them up again. I can't remember how long it took the first time, probably a few weeks? Argh, I know that seems like a long time but it will probably be getting less painful little by little over that time period.

A guitar has moonlight in it. ~ James M. Cain

Posted : 07/09/2015 10:22 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to the forum, to both of you.

As far as finger tip pain and suffering goes...Definitely a couple of weeks to ease the uncomfortableness. If you can start out with an electric that has thinner strings and a very close string to fret set up the effort to press down the string and get a good note will be less painful.

On the other hand, starting with an acoustic is good for building up your finger muscles so you can press firmer, get a good sounding note/chord, hold the chord longer and build stamina.

Either way you sort of have to pay the dues if you wanna play some blues. :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 14/09/2015 12:48 pm
(@aurora)
Trusted Member

I think the worst is over for me, and I started back up again on about the 2nd, so that's a week and a half playing 30 to 60 minutes a day on average. Still hurts some but not nearly as bad as the first week. Hope it's getting better for you too, Essie!

A guitar has moonlight in it. ~ James M. Cain

Posted : 14/09/2015 11:19 pm
(@seonpong)

Try wearing the fingertip protector (also called the artificial callus). It is a guitar and ukulele accessory and was first released in 2016. It is designed for guitar or ukulele players to ease finger soreness and avoid calluses. With it, guitar or ukulele players can play as long as they want.

Posted : 07/06/2016 12:38 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/07/2018 4:36 pm