Hi there from Cheshire, England!

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I've been meaning for a while to join up to a forum relating to guitars and have had this one reccomended!

I started off playing the guitar at the end of January this year after much pondering with the thought of doing so. However, in doing so I am very glad and only wish I had picked up the guitar earlier! I bought an electric guitar, a Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ, as my first guitar, along with a 10W Marshall practice amp. I learnt the hard way about the importance of straplocks :cry: , so after a week of rebuilding a broken body and respraying the guitar, I had repaired my damaged pride and joy. However, in the mean time I aquired a second-hand Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which has since become my favourite guitar of the two. I now marry that to a VOX AD50VT which produces both all the volume I want and all the tones I've been searching for but never finding within the Marshall 10W amp, despite the use of various effects boxes. I have also recently aquired an acoustic guitar for complimenting that, but also as a "technique workout" . . . it really works!

I am still very much a beginner of course, but am loving every moment of playing!

Generally my musical tastes are classic rock, but I am broadening my mind into modern Indie, funk, alternative and lately blues music. It's all great though! :D

Some of my examples of playing are on my youtube page : http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

However, there are older and newer ones on there - I keep meaning to do revised versions!

Cheers,

Rob

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

Posted : 04/09/2007 11:30 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Rob, welcome to GN! I'm next door to you - well, next county, I'm from Lancashire - half-way between Liverpool and Manchester. Funny, but my other GN neighbour - Darth Ordinary, from Burtonwood, Cheshire - also has a Yamaha Pacifica and a Vox AD30VT!

To paraphrase Lynyrd Skynyrd, the North will rise again!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/09/2007 12:30 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice playing! I watched the videos. Your Epi is like my Epi! I also have a Marshall and I'm thinking on a Vox... perhaps.

Welcome to GN! :D

Posted : 05/09/2007 10:10 am
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Hi Rob! Welcome to GN, enjoy your stay!

Cheers, katmetal :)

Posted : 05/09/2007 11:07 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Rob! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 05/09/2007 4:53 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 05/09/2007 4:55 pm
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

Welcome Rob! Sounds like you have GAS - three guitars in under a year! I'm on two this year so far, but I'm eyeing up a rather gorgeous Babicz archtop in electric blue, and a Line6 TonePort, and a couple of mics, and a new desktop/laptop to run the TonePort, and ... Quick! Where are my tablets??

Of course it doesn't help that I'm on an extended contract in the US, with the Pound-toDollar looking so juicy at the moment ...

David

Posted : 05/09/2007 5:07 pm
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm guessing GAS is Guitar Addiction Syndrome? In which case . . . most probably, although I think in my case it is more likely to be ATCMEATCCWAS . . . anything that catches my eye and the credit card will allow syndrome! :D

Rob

Rob

Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five

Posted : 05/09/2007 8:03 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Rob from another GAS aholoic! You'll fit right in here! :wink: 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/09/2007 10:50 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Rob from the South Coast. I'm beginning to feel a bit out numbered down here with all the Northern folk on the forum. Where's Misanthrope when you need him? :lol:

Was gutted to read about the damage to your Pacifica. I thought they were nigh on indestructible. Mine's had some hammer over the last couple of years and it still looks like it came out of the box and plays great.

Look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 07/09/2007 2:57 pm
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yeah, my Pacifica was a nasty experience. Although the floor was carpeted (which has saved the headstock from any damage) it would appear the neck was too strong as it conducted all the force into the guitar body!
Still, it's all sorted now and although it may be my imagination, but it seems to have played better since the accident than it did before!!

Rob

Rob

Posted : 11/09/2007 10:55 pm
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

:shock:
You play really well for 7 months. I pretty much started around the same time you did and can't say i've made that much progress. Not that it is a competition anyway :D . Do you take lessons?

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

Posted : 11/09/2007 11:54 pm
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks. :) I have a fortnightly "lesson", but it's not structured really, it's more of an informal question-time, where I'll ask questions about technique etc. I take a very loose attitude towards my guitar playing - it's purely for fun! I do play quite a lot, at least an hour a day usually, although I'll be on the computer at the same time usually. :mrgreen:

Does your username hint that you too are from the humble town of Macclesfield? :D

Rob

Posted : 16/09/2007 12:28 pm
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Does your username hint that you too are from the humble town of Macclesfield? :D
Heh, far from it. I'm from Bangalore, India. Mac Manc McManx is a feline character from Darby Conley's 'Get Fuzzy'. He's a siamese cat who supports Manchester City, although i do not. :P

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

Posted : 17/09/2007 5:15 pm
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Ha ha! No I do not support Manchester City either! :P

Rob

Posted : 23/09/2007 9:54 pm
Page 1 / 2