Notifications
Clear all

Homesick for the Heart of Dixie

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@gertrude)
Topic starter

So, I'm from Alabama, but I'm studying Architecture in New York. I have had a guitar for about a year that was left with me when a friend of mine went to boot camp, but I never got around to learning untill now. When I play, I become very nostalgic, and I find that bluesy folky songs (to which I think the guitar lends itself very nicely) are my favorites. I've got "Horse with No Name" down, and I just stumbled across Alan Green's Well I Woke Up this Morning lesson and it's amazing. (My bird likes to sing along with it too!) Does anyone have any suggestions to songs such as these that would be easy enough for an (almost) absolute beginner? Or perhaps something like this could be a new lesson. And, well, to close with a quote from Forest, Forest Gump; That's all I have to say about that. Thanks guys!

fill your hand, stranger

Posted : 30/05/2006 7:48 am
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

hello Gertrude, i'm new here too.
:D
:idea: there's a lesson on this site for 'house of the rising sun'. figure it to be a good one for you.

this is a great site for all levels of guitar.

Posted : 30/05/2006 1:13 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN Gertrude. Lots of great blusey players here, but to short cut you to one of the really good ones.. look up SmokinDog. Atleast.. thats my opinion and I am sticking to it. :lol: Lots of other great ones here too though.

Have fun
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/05/2006 1:17 pm
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

If I could marry the blues I would...
*silence*

On another note, welcome to the forums, and hope you find everything your looking for.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 30/05/2006 6:42 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN Gertrude! :D

Lots of good, easy songs on the "easy songs" forum. Pick something you have heard before, and work on it alittle piece at a time.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 30/05/2006 10:59 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Gertrude! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 30/05/2006 11:52 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Gertrude!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 01/06/2006 12:04 pm