Clear all

I am amazed.

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@squaresville)
Topic starter

Good day, everyone!

I'm completely new to the guitar and music in general (barring a tragic encounter with a trombone back in 5th grade band) and have just discovered this, frankly, astounding site. I mean - come on - all of these extremely useful, well written lessons backed up with active forums filled with massively encouraging and helpful members? I'm in guitar newbie heaven!

Well, then..
I'm a 33 year old fellow living in Jacksonville, FL, a novice digital illustrator/designer studying to not be a novice.

After many years of enjoying progressive rock such as Yes, Jethro Tull and Rush and "meaning" to begin learning the guitar I've finally begun - with my amazing girlfriend/soon to be fiance to inspire and cheer me on (she's a very talented self-taught drummer and keyboardist.) Up until now, I've only had access to visual forms of expression and this new direction has really lit a new fire in my brain and heart.

Not surprisingly, the likes of Steve Howe and Martin Barre are huge inspirations and will doubtless be influences in my development. Steve Howe's jazz guitar roots morphed into prog rock already influenced my first guitar purchase - an Ibanez AF75 archtop. I still get goosebumps looking at it and picking it up to practice chords. I adore it, even though I've barely begun to learn what I may be able to do with it.

So, I just wanted to say hello and express how lucky I feel to have discovered such a rich resource and community right as I'm taking my absolute first steps.

I'm one of those types who reads a lot more than speaks and I tend to search thoroughly for an already answered question before posting, so I may not appear massively active, but I'm here: soaking in all of your invaluable advice!

Thanks everyone!

Posted : 28/02/2007 7:16 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Squaresville. Welcome to GN.

Posted : 28/02/2007 7:37 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Squaresville! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 28/02/2007 7:45 pm
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome along...this site is indeed excellent....you'l soon be jamming with your girlfriend :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 28/02/2007 9:06 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN

#4491....

Posted : 28/02/2007 9:20 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 28/02/2007 11:41 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your time here. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 01/03/2007 2:33 am
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Welcome!
...amazing girlfriend/soon to be fiance to inspire and cheer me on (she's a very talented self-taught drummer and keyboardist.) ....

Hey, you got the makings of a recording band right there. :)

Plus you used to play the 'bone - you might explore bass guitar in the future. (Drums, guitars, bass and keyboards - yah, that could be a band.)

Again, have a good time here.

Posted : 01/03/2007 12:49 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Squaresville! Good to have someone to help isn't it - and there are lots of people on here only to willing to give good advice!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/03/2007 10:43 pm
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Welcome! It is a great place to be :D

Posted : 02/03/2007 3:35 am
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Howdy! Jax is only a couple hours away from out here in Greenville.

Play on!

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

Posted : 02/03/2007 4:06 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN.

Enjoy.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 03/03/2007 11:48 am