Clear all

I was practisin and a year went by!

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I've been away for so long I thought I had better come and re-introduce myself.

Hi, its Ola (in Nigeria) and according to the control panel i last logged in in January 2008 - :o
I had a look at the posts to see if others sign back in here after an absence and it seems to be the right thing to do. (Sorry to read about members who had to take time out because of personal problems - I really hope the guitar can provide some valuable therapy.)

My break was initially caused by a lack of internet access (remote area of the country etc). When I did get precious cybercafe time (incredibly low bandwidth - pages take ages to load) there was never enough time to indulge in leisure activities like the GN forum.

Funny enough it was not for long but it kinda broke the link - the longer I went without logging on the more I put it off. Anyway, its January so you can guess the rest - one of my New Year's Res was to get back on GN so here I am.

BTW - oh boy have I been practising and you know what. . . the experienced guys are right: 1) The more you play the more you enjoy it and 2) The more you practice the better you get!!!

- Barre chords are beginning to sound OK and there is no longer a 12 bar silence while I sort my thumbs out - actually they are beginning to feel like fingers now.
- My fingers are so calloused someone noticed and said 'uurgh, that's disgusting what is wrong with your skin?!' A proud moment for me :)
- I am now at various stages of recognizably playing about 30 songs. With another 10 still at the barely recognisable stage.
- I am tentatively attempting soloing (with the help of DHs series - playing random notes can be sooooooooo addictive.
- and . . .
I wont bore you with the rest. Its good to be back, See you on the boards

Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

Posted : 07/01/2009 4:47 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome back! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/01/2009 7:11 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome back! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/01/2009 1:00 am
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys - its like coming home!

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

Posted : 09/01/2009 2:58 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I really hope the guitar can provide some valuable therapy. Ola

THAT's what GN's all about! Welcome back...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 09/01/2009 8:13 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I was practisin and a year went by!

That happens - many a night I've thought to myself, I'll just work on a couple of songs - a couple of hours later I come out of the trance and realise I'm hungry, dehydrated and my fingers are sore!

Nice to see you back - good to hear it's all coming together. Isn't it great when someone actually recognises what you're playing - even if it's only you!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 10/01/2009 3:02 am