meet and greet (part II)

97 Posts
45 Users
0 Likes
99.5 K Views
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I think leaning to actually read music is better then relying on only on tab. The problem with tab, as you know, is tab music only shows the notes and no rhythm or time signature. You have to have a recorded copy of the song you are trying to play or be very familiar with it so you know how the rhythm is suppose to go. I have seen some tab use standard type of notation on a tab chart for example using quarter notes, and half notes. It seems to me if one can follow this type of tablature then making the leap to actually reading standard notation shouldn't be that difficult.
Dave, thanks. It is a bit of a strech for me right now as all I ever knew was tabs or someone showing me what to play. Now things are getting better at understanding what is going on. My first few times through is mainly an excersise on learning what each note is, ie learning where on the fretboard I should play. Then I try to concentrate on the rhythm of the song. Your right though, knowing the signature and the beat sure helps you learn a song vs just the tab.
Your right I also enjoy the articles by Nick. I especially liked the topic on how to practice properly as well as learning the fret board. Good luck on your music studies
I am working on his fretboard memory #1 right now. Still trying to learn the notes. I wish I could get all the pratice time in the evening. I do manage to get 1 hr min with closer to 1.5 hrs of playing. But once my daughter goes to bed, I turn the amp off, clean the guitar and try to review what I acomplished that day and look at some stuff for the next session.

Thanks
John

John M

Posted : 03/03/2005 11:33 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Hello everyone, I been lurking for ~ a month and decided I should introduce myself. I am 50 (today),

Happy Belated Birthday 300m! Mine is March 13 and I'm just a year behind you, I'll be turning 49 :cry: :cry: Nice to meet a fellow Pisces! And I "lurked" here for about a year and a half before I even started participating in the forums! What a dolt I was! Well, they say "Wisdom comes with age"...........just wish mine would hurry up and get here before I run out of the "age" part!

OH! And welcome to GuitarNoise!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 03/03/2005 4:44 pm
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Electrablue, thanks! I do not even feel 50 :) Of course I have a daughter that will be 9 on the 15th, another pisces. Her birthday gift came last night and we went and picked it up. Squire mini strat, she was all smiles :D . I already let her have the guitar. We also got her a music book & stand, pink of course, guitar stand and my 15W masrshall. She was just strumming away last night and singing. :D 8) :lol: The wife and I were all smiles. I agree with you on the wisdom part. The older I get the more I realize I do not know!

John M

Posted : 04/03/2005 11:34 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

We also got her a music book & stand, pink of course,

Then you've GOT to let her check out my pink 12-string............ :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 04/03/2005 4:27 pm
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

We also got her a music book & stand, pink of course,

Then you've GOT to let her check out my pink 12-string............ :D

Is that a Daisy Rock Venus? I love that thing just wish it came in more manly colors!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

Posted : 04/03/2005 10:49 pm
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Electrablue,
Yes we do like that one! "Daddy, can I have one of those...when I get older?" :D That is nice one, she like the looks of the blue/teal one also. Here mini strat is red, they only come black and red. She had good eye as she like a lt blue US stat in the store.

John M

Posted : 05/03/2005 10:36 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Is that a Daisy Rock Venus? I love that thing just wish it came in more manly colors!

Close! But no cigar! It IS a Daisy Rock (which a lot of people don't realize is actually a branch of Schecter), but it is the Retro-H model....... it also comes in pearl white and sparkle blue! The pink one, though, is the only Retro-H that comes with the estrogen symbol at the 12th fret. The blue and white ones just have "daisy dots". It's a WONDERFUL guitar!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 05/03/2005 4:41 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Electrablue,
Yes we do like that one! "Daddy, can I have one of those...when I get older?" :D That is nice one, she like the looks of the blue/teal one also. Here mini strat is red, they only come black and red. She had good eye as she like a lt blue US stat in the store.

Obviously she has good taste in guitars already! That blue one is a Washburn, also a great guitar, but a six-string. Y'all ought to check out http://www.daisyrock.com sometime. I just tried, though, and their site seems to be down for some reason this morning. I guarantee that once she sees their inventory......... she'll be "Daddy, can I?" until Daddy gives in!!!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 05/03/2005 4:55 pm
(@chuckie)

Your right though, knowing the signature and the beat sure helps you learn a song vs just the tab.

I am working on his fretboard memory #1 right now. Still trying to learn the notes. I wish I could get all the pratice time in the evening.

How right you are. You really do understand a song more when you know the signature, beat and learn it in standard notation. I just started learning the fretboard and learning to read music. I've also started using a metronome, and I wish I had learnt the things that I am learning now before I even started trying to play songs on my axe. It's so hard unlearning the bad habits that I had before and playing the correct way.

Posted : 06/03/2005 7:17 pm
(@navydoc1)

I just started learning the fretboard and learning to read music. I've also started using a metronome, and I wish I had learnt the things that I am learning now before I even started trying to play songs on my axe

The basics of reading music are reletivly simple, however it will get much more complecated as you progress, but so should your music. Good Luck

Posted : 06/03/2005 7:36 pm
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Obviously she has good taste in guitars already! That blue one is a Washburn, also a great guitar, but a six-string. Y'all ought to check out http://www.daisyrock.com sometime. I just tried, though, and their site seems to be down for some reason this morning. I guarantee that once she sees their inventory......... she'll be "Daddy, can I?" until Daddy gives in!!!! :D
I just checked out the site, I will be sure to show here this evening when I get home. The only peoblem being the longer neck on the guitars. She has a problem with the strech on my Ibanez, 25.2" scale so I know these will drive here nuts with a longer neck. However, time with fix that issue with her growth. The choice would be between the butterfly or the pink heart. I will find out tonight. You know I will cave in on that action :) .
What I am trying to teach her now is to use all 3 fingers on a different fret and not just move the first finger down. I am going slow as to not discourage her and when there is a slot open I would like to get her lessons.

John M

Posted : 07/03/2005 12:53 pm
(@cassie8916)

I started playing guitar at 55 and am now 61 and was hired five years years ago to busk in the city of Hamilton Ontario where I live. I only knew three songs and did the same ones over and over. Now know about 100. Have recently tried to learn fingerpicking. will maybe play Dave's Silent Night next christmas. Love to play and now have interested my grand daughter in playing. You're never too late to learn.

Cassie8916

Posted : 28/03/2005 1:44 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Musical Madhouse!

Yours sounds like a great story. Good to have you here on the forums. It's a good place to hang out when you're not playing.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 28/03/2005 2:00 am
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member

I've been hanging around in here for a month or so, so i figure its time to intro on the meet/greet. I've been playing for about a month now and I feel like I'm improving. I'm certainly addicted at this point and try to play/practice about 45 mins per day.

I am learning on an acoustic, late 80's epiphone, solid top, so i guess its a pretty good guitar to learn on. It sat in a closet, in a case for about 5 years, then I pulled it out and took a class at a local Community college. It was all about notes on the e string, notes on the b string, g string, etc. I got bored and put it away for another 5 yrs. Now that I've found GN.com, I am spending time playing/reading/learning everyday and my interest level increasing. I'll probably continue with the guitar I've got for another year or so, and if I'm still plodding along at that point, maybe I'll upgrade.

Working my way through the lessons for beginners, trying to learn some theory along the way, some work on learning to read music (should be more), and listening to more (and more different music). All in all having a blast and this site/forum has been a big part of it.

Will be looking for someone to take lessons from soon. I guess thats the next step. I figure better to spend my money there now, rather than spend on a nicer guitar and not progress much on my own.

Anyway, hello to all. Glad to be here.

Posted : 08/04/2005 8:17 pm
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Hello Jim,
Welcome to the forum and the addiction! I picked mine back up after christmas and have been playing every day since :) . I am learning new things and that helps. I just got an instructor, 3 lessons now, and this helps also along with the beginner books. You get a different approach and the instructor can correct mistakes that a book cannot. Enjoy and welcome!

John M

Posted : 09/04/2005 11:36 am
Page 4 / 7