Notifications
Clear all

meet and greet (part II)

97 Posts
45 Users
0 Likes
99.5 K Views
(@kevin-murchison)

I hail from Canada and currently live in what is generally called by the locals as "God's country", that would be Vancouver Island. Can't complain for a Canadian town that averages less than 2" of snow a year and flowers started to bloom in early March this year.

Any way I've just crossed over the milestone of 40, married since '86 to the same girl that I have known since we were 18. 2 Years ago our 4 children started playing piano, not necessarily by their own choice. The wife insists they learn the piano 1st before getting anything else. So the boys are "getting" electric guitars and the youngest girl wants drums. The oldest girl just sings for the enjoyment. We picked up an old classical guitar for the boys to try out, and it just sat there gathering dust. So wouldn't you know it...no hockey on TV this year :evil: so I found a new hobby! Picked up a beginners book and learned a few things, finally decided that I enjoyed it and that I wasn't tone deaf after all. My grade school music teachers were all wrong after all...I can play something other that the radio!! :shock: About 3 weeks ago I picked up an electric acoustic and play every night I get a chance...missed a couple of nights but that's about it. I'm considering lessons but there is a couple of things holding me back...the money of course (Scottish background :!: ) and work is sending me away for a few months...., but I get to take the guitar!!! By the way...no aspirations other than to improve on what I don't know...

Kevin

Posted : 25/04/2005 8:50 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse! You've found a magnificent obsession and soon your family can go on the road! (Can you talk one of them into playing bass?)

:)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 25/04/2005 10:32 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome and glad to meet you.
Sounds like my family. I have 4 daughters one plays keyboard one plays drums. The other 2 aren't interested.
You will learn a lot right here at this website.
Best of luck.

Posted : 25/04/2005 10:52 pm
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Welcome to the forum and the fun :) . Now you can hear the Partridige Family jokes too. My daughter wants to play guitar and the wife played piano. I just bought her one for our anniversary so we all have somethihng to play. Make the habbit fun. Enjoy!

John M

Posted : 26/04/2005 10:40 am
(@panterririst)

Hey!

Wow. Ok. I'm 21, the name is Mike, and I'm from India. I've been playing for 5 years now. I just created my own band, plan to start playing soon... I play heavy metal... Metallica, Pantera... a bit of Maiden.

Screwed up the beginning cuz I learnt all by myself... made many mistakes that I had to rectify later.... but it's all good!

Not having a teacher helped me experiment a lot more... learnt thanks to the Internet... lol, it was crazy putting stuff together cuz I learnt from so many different places.

About this place? It's a change. Most forums are about guitarists out to prove themseves, kicking out newbies, and hell, the advice sucks! I was really glad to see the maturity level here.

Here's to good times, and I answer questions too! (Err.... nevermind, I see absolute VETERANS here...)

Cheers !!

-Mike.

"Pain is pure, isn't it?"

Posted : 07/05/2005 4:05 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the asylum!

-- John Lennon

Posted : 07/05/2005 6:02 pm
(@panterririst)

Just got out of there, lol.

Hey, I'm curious, because one article about Speed Metal in the Heavy Metal section said Metallica played Speed Metal and Iron Maiden wasn't Speed Metal.

Err.... I thought Maiden defined speed metal.

Mods?

"Pain is pure, isn't it?"

Posted : 08/05/2005 4:26 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Just got out of there, lol.

Hey, I'm curious, because one article about Speed Metal in the Heavy Metal section said Metallica played Speed Metal and Iron Maiden wasn't Speed Metal.

Err.... I thought Maiden defined speed metal.

Mods?

Sorry -- I don' t know much about metal subgenres. Maybe post your question down in opinions and polls?

-- John Lennon

Posted : 09/05/2005 11:23 am
(@azertyuiop201)
Trusted Member

Hiya

I'm 21 as well , I started playing back in december on an old classical guitar I got from my brother. I started of by browsing the internet for lessons and that is how I eventually got here .. but it wasn't until recently I decided to check out the forum and man .. I wish I did it way earlier. It's really a nice place to learn and discuss guitar or just read about it and it feels like there's a nice atmosphere/mentality going on... even for us newbies :)

Posted : 10/05/2005 8:06 am
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Welcome to the forum and the addiction :) I agree with you on the information. Great people here and good information.
Enjoy

John M

Posted : 10/05/2005 10:54 am
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

Hey.
I've been a frequent visitor the last month and maybe it's time for introducing myself. I'm 19 years old, lives in the northern part of Norway, (small country in scandinavia), and I just finished my obliged military service. After that I got quite a lot of time on my hands, so I found my old guitar (played a year when I was 10), and started playing again. I soon got addicted and now I play as much as I can.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

Posted : 13/05/2005 10:35 am
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new habit/addiction :). For me this works well as I have good days and bad, just like life. Overall this is fun and I enjoy playing.

John M

Posted : 13/05/2005 11:29 am
(@smudga)
Eminent Member

hey everyone, nice to meet you all... the name's Shane but most people call me Smudga!

My lovely wife bought me a geetar for Xmas and I've been strumming it everyday since - absolutely loving it, to be honest it's taken over my life a bit!!!

Loving this site and have recently discovered the lessons (for beginners)... started with 'Wish you were here' by David - absolutely superb!!! ...haven't just learnt a song that I love but also learnt things which I am now apllying to other song that i know - great way of teaching!!!

Problem is... there just isn't enough time and work always gets in the way!

(¯`·._..-SMUDGA-.._.·´¯)
A few clowns short of a circus!!!

Posted : 17/05/2005 1:54 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You just need to sort out your sense of priorities! :)

-- John Lennon

Posted : 17/05/2005 5:06 pm
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

You just need to sort out your sense of priorities! :)

Sleep, showering, tv, social life, alcohol, videogames are all just vague memories after I picked up the guitar... :shock:

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

Posted : 17/05/2005 5:16 pm
Page 5 / 7