meet and greet (part II)

97 Posts
45 Users
0 Likes
99.5 K Views
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I agree on not enough time, I have the same problems with work and house stuff I need to do when I get home. :)

John M

Posted : 17/05/2005 7:38 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hi, I'm Paul. I've been addicted to drinking for 5 years now...

Oops, wrong forum. Let's start again. Paul, age 19, been playing guitar 2 years this June. Got into it when I moved house: everyone my age at my Church was playing, and I got my first urge to really play it. I got a 30 year old acoustic off my Auntie. Words can't describe how bad the action is on it. You need fingers of steel. I got a teacher early on who helped me learn chords, timing, and playing whole songs like House of the Rising Sun, Scarborough Fair, Knockin' on Heaven's Door etc. I still go to his lessons, which are now group lessons and more about just having fun (or should be, at least) than learning stuff. I probably stopped learning from him 4-6 months after starting, and then tried to learn tabs. I also got some invaluable help from friends, one of which taught me the intro to Stairway to Heaven early on in my guitaring life, for which I am eternally grateful. Learning that intro made picking up barre chords easier, although they still took me over a year to learn properly.

Nowadays I'm just constantly moving horizontally. I play regularly, but I need more people around me to play with and to encourage me. I play for my local Church but that's just chords and the strict pattern of the songs doesn't allow me too much room to breathe. I discovered Guitar Noise yesterday, and spent the whole day playing Wish You Were Here and Babylon. It's temporarily rekindled my joy in guitar, although my fingers are now too sore to play!

Posted : 26/05/2005 1:21 pm
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

banapalo, welcome to the forum and the joy of playing!

John M

Posted : 27/05/2005 10:16 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, welcome to the musical madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 27/05/2005 12:04 pm
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Hi I am Vin. I've been following this website and forums for a few weeks now.

I learned guitar for couple of years when I was around 14, and played on and off for the next few years. I am not good at carrying a tune, and I don't have good ability to discern pitch by ear, so I gave up around the age of 20, thinking "I have no talent".

But recently, at the ripe age of 43, I decided that I shouldn't let such thoughts stop me. Now, I just want to play for my own enjoyment, so I don't need to impress anyone.. I've picked up playing the last couple of months, and will be taking some lessons soon.

The vast amount of material available in terms of tabs and such today helps me quite a bit, and this web site has been fabulous!

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

Posted : 03/06/2005 11:10 pm
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Welcome Vin, Your story sound firmuliar :) Got you by a few years though. Welcome to the addiction and fun!

John M

Posted : 06/06/2005 11:43 am
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member

Hi, I'm Christopher from South Africa. I'm 25, and never thought of myself as artistically inclined.

However, about six months ago I joined a church band (more because they needed a male vocalist than because I really enjoy singing), and watching the guitarist(s) eventually inspired me to try out the guitar.

About a month ago I picked up a cheap classical guitar to learn some chords and strums, and enjoyed it so much that I very recently bought an Ibanez AEL20E (Acoustic with preamp and plugin) which sounds so much nicer (even when I play it).

I just about started learning from David's lessons (Horse with no Name, For What it's Worth) - great lessons! My current worst nightmare is the A-chord (fat fingers).

Uhm, that's all i can think of. I'll probably be asking a stack of questions from now on.

Posted : 06/07/2005 3:16 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Asylum, Christopher!!! And feel free to ask as many questions as you want...the folks here are just about the most helpful on the planet!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/07/2005 6:55 pm
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I second Vic. welcome to the forum :)

John M

Posted : 07/07/2005 10:29 am
(@renko369)

Hey, my names tyler. Im 14 years old, I just got an acousitc guiar. It is my first instrument. I wanna learn to play, but cant get lessons, so I came here. Thats about it.

Posted : 23/07/2005 9:05 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hi Tyler!
Welcome to the musical madhouse. The lessons here are great and the forum community is probably the best on the web. You'll find lots of support and good advice here.
Enjoy your guitar!

-- John Lennon

Posted : 23/07/2005 10:37 pm
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Hi, my name is Niklas and I'm 17 years old.

I bought a guitar a couple of months ago and tried learning from tab from the internet. But the only thing I could learn was the intro to Stairway to Heaven and a couple of riffs and not whole songs. I found Guitar Noise a couple of weeks ago and since then I can't stop playing. Now I even can play whole songs at speed. Today I learned House of the Rising Sun.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

Posted : 22/08/2005 5:55 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Way to go Niklas,

Your here now and its the right place to be.

Welcome to the madhouse.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 22/08/2005 8:36 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hi, my name is Niklas and I'm 17 years old.

I bought a guitar a couple of months ago and tried learning from tab from the internet. But the only thing I could learn was the intro to Stairway to Heaven and a couple of riffs and not whole songs. I found Guitar Noise a couple of weeks ago and since then I can't stop playing. Now I even can play whole songs at speed. Today I learned House of the Rising Sun.

8)
Welcome aboard!

-- John Lennon

Posted : 23/08/2005 9:50 am
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Hello folks; :D
I am new here, joining a couple of days ago. I found this site while doing a "Jeeves" search for an obscure theory item I was seeking. The site is very good.
I started guitar a bit late, at 21 years of age, but that was 41 years ago.
A friend taught me the 'basic' open chords, and the I-IV-V progressions
for A,C,D,E,F and G. ( He was a country singer and rhythm player).
My instrument at the time was a Kay flat-top with a rather thick neck.
I learned other chords from early Mel Bay books, and learned all of my lead lines from records....wish I'd had a teacher, as I started playing the full F and Bb shapes up the neck using my thumb...still do, but get quite a bit out of them.
Anyway, I was in bar & dance bands 1965-1978, mostly country-bluegrass, but some 50's-60's Top 40 stuff. My first 'real' electric was a used Jazzmaster, played through a Gibson tube amp.
Had many instruments over the years. My remaining units are a 1974 Strat, a 1980 Washburn cutaway semi-acoustic, and a 1977 Gretsch Sho-bro 7-string resophonic.
I am retired and recently separated, I am trying to learn a bunch of the songs I never "got around to" in my band days.."Old Gold" like All Of Me, After You've Gone, Bye Bye Blackbird, etc.
So I'm also boning up on Jazz & Blues chord scales, and even on a few Top 40 licks from the 70's & '80's.
My handle comes from "Old dog, New tricks"
This post is way too long. :oops:
regards:
Mike (about 100 miles NW of Toronto).

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

Posted : 15/09/2005 12:01 pm
Page 6 / 7