Meet and Greet

142 Posts
84 Users
4 Likes
113.5 K Views
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Hello to all. My name is mike i'm 26 from Rhode Island U.S.A.  (GO RED SOX sorry had to get that in) But anyway to explain how i got into the real guitar as opposed to the air version (which i can say i'm better at)
my buddy plays and i myself was always interested in learning the guitar. So i asked him if he had one he would give up OR sell needless to say he told my wife and she bought me an Ibanez 6 string for christmas "03"
and i love it can't play for beans but i WILL thanks to this great site. I'll tell you we live in a day and age where crossing the street is hazardess to your health never mind all the other BS that is going on but yet there are people out there like ALL of you who will stop and help someone who either needs help or just wants to talk guitar. And that my friends is what makes this AND all of you a great site. Thanks for listening and having me be a part of something that NOBODY can take away from any of us!!! Keep practicing and playing cause you never know what could happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PEACE!!!

Posted : 19/02/2004 3:16 am
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Hey Everyone,

The first guitar that I bought was about twenty four years ago, after six months of disappointing lessons from a teacher that didn't really care to teach, I tried to learn on my own. I gave up due to laziness and frustration pretty soon after. Then the guitar moved with me from house to house for about another seven years, before I sold it to a close friend of mine that is a bass player.

So after many years of career changes, marriage, a cat and three kids. I started to get drained, because I didn't have anything emotionally left for myself. So last Christmas, I knew I needed something to kick start my artistic abilities (I am graphic designer for a tv station) somehow, I have no compulsion to design anymore, it's just a job now.

It was a couple of things that fell into place, one a freelance director came in one night and brought in a guitar and blew my socks off with his playing; second thing was that my brother in-law bought one just before Christmas and was playing in a month. So needless to say, this lit a fire under my butt.

So now that I am entering into my 44th year in life, I finally feel rejuvenated with a passion that I can call my own for half an hour a day. And to boot, my wife and daughter are starting to sing some of the songs that I am learning. So it's becoming an family affair, something which I was planning on for camping trips and such.

I stumbled onto this site right about the time I bought the guitar. So it's been extremely helpful and I've found that this is probably the best site on the web. I've found lot's of great design sites on the web, but this is one site that I can say that I learn something new almost everytime I visit it.

Keep up the great work to all the Guitar Noise Writers and Columnists, you guys are great.

Kenny Lim
43 years old, soon to be 44 years young.

Posted : 23/02/2004 11:07 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hi folks!
Welcome to the Asylum for the Musically Insane!  Good to have you here!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 23/02/2004 11:21 pm
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Greetings from the Great White North.

I've been a beginner for 15 years now. Got a guitar for Xmas while in university and the dog-gone thing has been following me around like a lost puppy for 15 years now. Picked it up. Put it down. Picked it up. Put it down. Repeat ad nauseum. I've always "wished" to play, but never put in the time.

To make a long story short I signed up for beginner classes at a community college and decided to make this effort stick. In the process of working on the basics of learning chords, chord changing, progressions and strumming I've been poking around the web for some beginners lessons and songs (that I can actually hear) as well as some theory,and chanced upon your site. Extraordinary. I plan on taking advantage of your readings on theory while advancing my skills with the more mechanical aspects of learning.

This is the best site I have come across. I look foreward to many hours of learning here and some inspirational reading when I hit the wall.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

Posted : 03/03/2004 5:29 pm
(@30something_teen)

Hi,
My name is Phillip.  I currently live in the Omaha area but since I've been in the navy for 19 years, I've lived in 8 states (don't ask why a navy submariner is landlocked in Nebraska).  Anyhoo, got my 16 year old son a beginner electric outfit last Christmas and ended up playing with it more than he does.  I recently puchased an Epiphone beginner acoustic and as fate would have it, an old Yamaha f-180 a week later (too good a deal to pass on and it sounds beautiful).  Plodding through David's lessons and loving every minute of it.

Posted : 10/03/2004 2:52 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Madhouse!

-- John Lennon

Posted : 10/03/2004 11:34 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

hello, is anyone from toronto, canada?
i just bought a guitar and looking for beginners in the area to play with.............

Posted : 10/03/2004 1:48 pm
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Take a look in the Forum's News Section thread 'Guitar Noise in Toronto?? '

There's a bunch of us.  ;D

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

Posted : 10/03/2004 1:55 pm
(@timtaylor)

My turn I guess............

I started organ lessons at the ripe old age of 5-1/2, and continue playing to this day (we have a Rogers 750 in the living room).

In 1973, I bought my first guitar - a Takamine copy of a Martin. I played & sang regularly in a church folk group until the early 80's, then took a hiatus for a while - something about having kids that eats up a lot of your spare time.......

I started playing regularly again in late 1991 - once again doing liturgical music for Sunday services, & occasionally other related occasions such as weddings & funerals - and continue to do so today.

Several years ago I replaced my old Takamine with a Martin D1, and earlier this week I acquired a new Taylor 414CE.

My wife of 21+ years, whom I met in that first church folk group I played with, is also an accomplished musician and vocalist.

My musical interests range from classical organ to folk guitar, including adaptions of classical liturgical music. Recently I've also developed an interest in blues guitar....lots of fun so far......

Posted : 11/03/2004 6:50 pm
(@mr-glorypants)

HEy Fellas,

ITs Jon - Eric Here, but people just call me JEB.

Well , Lets see, Im a 19 year old male from Prince Edward Island , Canada, Im currently taking an arts degree at UPEI.

I have always thought of playing a guitar since i was about 16, so i went out and bought one around december,  and got some lessons for Xmas, since then I have absolutly love the guitar, I play an Gibson AJ epiphone, pretty sweet sounding guitar, i think so anyway, I just recently broke my wrist so, i cant play , had tp cancel my lessons, im going insane this site is the only thing keeping me going!! Well im oiutta here fellas, keep playing!

JEB :)

" WAyne Gretzky......I think hes kinda sexy"

Posted : 23/03/2004 12:48 am
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Anyone else want ot talk about I Shot the Sheriff?

David's chunky sound is eluding me

Steely Dan

Posted : 28/03/2004 2:47 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Anyone else want ot talk about I Shot the Sheriff?

David's chunky sound is eluding me

Are you muting the down strums and letting the upstrums ring out?  A typical reggae trick.

-- John Lennon

Posted : 28/03/2004 3:41 pm
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I may have to wait till David gets here and shows me. All I get is squeaks when I try to mute the downstroke.  :(

Steely Dan

Posted : 28/03/2004 3:56 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

In addition to releasing pressure on the strings, you can also palm mute gently.  Just play through the squeaks.  They'll disappear eventually.  

-- John Lennon

Posted : 28/03/2004 11:35 pm
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

:-/

Steely Dan

Posted : 30/03/2004 1:57 am
Page 7 / 10