Notifications
Clear all

New here saying Hi!

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jtlessons)
Topic starter

Hi, I hope to post free tabs from my site for guitar and bass and be involved in discussions. I have been teaching privately for 23 years now all styles, music theory, songwriting etc...

Hope it is ok to share knowledge here? Can't seem to upload a profile pic for my account?
Thanks, Jeff

Posted : 04/11/2017 3:51 am
(@jtlessons)
Topic starter

Also, how do you add members as friends?

Posted : 04/11/2017 3:15 pm
(@countdemonet)

Hi, I'm also new here, nice to meet you. 8)

Posted : 08/11/2017 4:18 pm
(@woz183)

Hey All

I'm Woza

I've been playing guitar off and on for about 20 years. Played with couple of bands, mainly as a fill in when they were minus a guitarist. Been thinking of teaching beginners, but I dont know evening about guitar theory though. Would be greatful with any suggestions to teaching beginners, approach to theory, monitoring students progress, what to teach etc.

Any help would be greatful

Posted : 12/12/2017 3:41 am
(@woz183)

I thought I'd better correct my comments earlier. I meant to say I don't know everything about guitar theory.

Posted : 12/12/2017 6:21 am
(@alangreen)

Hey All

I'm Woza

I've been playing guitar off and on for about 20 years. Played with couple of bands, mainly as a fill in when they were minus a guitarist. Been thinking of teaching beginners, but I dont know evening about guitar theory though. Would be greatful with any suggestions to teaching beginners, approach to theory, monitoring students progress, what to teach etc.

Any help would be greatful

What age students?

You'll need some kind of syllabus path. I use the Trinity College Rock and Pop Exams guitar books as a guide, supplemented with material from the Registry of Guitar Tutors Acoustic and Rock guitar syllabi, and heaps of material in the form of songsheets of songs at comparable skill levels and articles about individual technical elements from back issues of Total Guitar - I have 16 lever-arch folders full of this stuff plus the Exam books and you're going to be doing a lot of playing as you work out whether song A is more challenging than song B, or song Q. None of my students are required to take the exams unless they want to. the good news is that the Trinity and RGT exam material is in dual music and tab format.

Theory - start learning. When someone asks you what the difference is between C7 and Cmaj7, the answer is not "the shape"

Monitoring progress. An Initial Grade song should start to fall under the fingers in a 30-minute lesson and you can check progress next week. A Grade 8 song wil take you multiple lessons and you'd better make sure you can play what's on the page before you start puting it in front of students.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 12/12/2017 6:26 am
(@woz183)

Thanks heaps Alan, that's a good start. I'll look into what you've mentioned.

Regards

Warren

Posted : 12/12/2017 6:30 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/07/2018 4:19 pm