Notifications
Clear all

New old guy

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@louis_k)
Topic starter

Hi all! Louis K here, from Manassas, Virginia (USA). Soon to be 55 and newly possessed by a Seagull S-6 acoustic guitar. Having loved listening to acoustic guitar in various incarnations (mostly folk and classical) for most of my life, I've finally taken the plunge to do more than listen.

Between this site and a well known (and really well done) DVD/computer series, I am happy to say that progress is slow but steady. I am just so tickled to be able to translate the dots and squiggles on a piece of paper into something almost recognizable as a song. Chord changes are VERY slow, and barres but a distant dream, but when I could plink out a melody line for 'Silent Night' on Christmas Eve, I was almost as happy as my (31 years ago) wedding day.

Hope to get to know a few folks here, and maybe even meet someday for a jam session!

Lou

Posted : 04/01/2012 1:21 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN!! I a farly new guy myself...ok a long turm newguy. :D It wasnt all that long ago that the first sound that was almost like music came out of that lump of wood and strings!! It was awesome!!!! Keep working on it and that feeling gets better and better!!!

Paul B

Posted : 04/01/2012 7:30 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey, old old guy here :lol: Look foreward to seeing you around!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 05/01/2012 4:00 am
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Hi Louis K

Welcome to the forum. You'll get there with bar chords. I really like your introduction :) Look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Posted : 05/01/2012 7:50 am
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Welcome, Sonny...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 07/01/2012 10:53 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Welcome. Believe it or not, the chord change speed will sneak up on you and before you know it, you won't even think about it. The 2 other times I tried to learn guitar earlier in life, changing chords was the wall I couldn't get over. 3rd time, I stuck to it and kept practicing and before I knew it, I was actually playing a song without stopping.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 09/01/2012 3:20 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Welcome. Believe it or not, the chord change speed will sneak up on you and before you know it, you won't even think about it. The 2 other times I tried to learn guitar earlier in life, changing chords was the wall I couldn't get over. 3rd time, I stuck to it and kept practicing and before I knew it, I was actually playing a song without stopping.

That was a big thing for me also. I spent like two weeks doing hardly anything but changing the chords I knew.. That got the fingers moving, and eaven new changes come a bit faster now. Fight the bordom for a bit and get those changes down, and it will pay you back!!

Paul B

Posted : 09/01/2012 9:35 am
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

Louis K,
Keep at it, slow and steady is a good start. Soon you'll be playing Silent Night All Day Long!
Andy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

Posted : 21/01/2012 1:40 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Welcome young dude..

Posted : 22/01/2012 2:46 am
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

And don't forget Louis nearly everything you do get down and learn Can be expanded on,guitar like music itself is a never ending journey.you will learn to love.decades doing it can't be wrong.

Heroes Don't wear capes.They wear Dog tags

Posted : 12/05/2012 2:15 am