Clear all

New to forum, And guitar

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello everyone, My name is william, I just purchased a new guitar. Its an Ibanez, Acoustic-Electric. Got a nice amp to go with it to, Its a Vox =). Unfortunately they sent me a bad amp so I have to send it back and get another 1. I have a few questions to you all if you don't mind.

#1. Where should I start with learning to play a guitar? I would like to teach myself if possible. I was going to buy a book with all the basic chords to start off with. Do I have to have a pick? Or can I just use my fingers? Is there any advice or anything you could tell me at all that would help me? Links to great sites on the internet are appreciated.

#2. How do I learn how to sing? I know its a stupid question, But I want to learn to do it right. I can't seem to find the information anywhere. And I don't even know what I am looking for.

Well just thought I would introduce myself to everyone, And anything you can tell me will be much appreciated. I plan on playing 1-2 hours every day. And am in this for the long haul, Thanks!

Posted : 27/02/2008 3:56 pm
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member

Hello William and welcome to GN. This forum and the people in it have helped me out considerably so I hope it will help you out also. I'm a relative beginner, only been playing for about a two years, and I found that a lot of the lessons here on Guitar Noise helped me considerably, if nothing else just to perk my interest. So my first bit of advice is to go to the lessons section and start reading and printing off lessons off this website for your reference.

Probably the wrong thread to go on about this but;

Some of the books I use, and my taste may be different than others, are 'The Heavy Guitar Bible' and 'Solo Guitar Playing'. The heavy guitar bible will give you plenty of info on the basic chords, plus movable ones, and scales while the Solo Guitar playing will get you in tune to start sight reading and learning music notation if that is a road you want to travel down. I also just started using Chris Standring's program 'Guitar made Simple' which seems to have tons of useful information plus more chords than I'll probably ever use.

I recommend you do get a pick or tons of picks, just personal preference. Probably a thin one at first and eventual you will proabably move to something a little stiffer. As for using your fingers to pick. I practice both ways. For example, In my Solo Guitar Book I'll run through a lesson picking with my fingers then I will run through the same lesson using a pick. Why be restricted to just one technique.

As for the singing, I can't help you there. And honestly I don't use any other website for guitar lessons other than this one, other than watching people play music on YouTube, which can be very helpful just to get glimpse of how the music is played.

practice, patience, practice, patience, practice.

Hope this helps and welcome

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. ~ Frank Zappa
I've got blisters on my fingers. ~Ringo Starr
Music is spiritual. The music business is not. ~ Van Morrison

Posted : 27/02/2008 4:58 pm
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks so much for the reply! Yes, I am very impressed with this forum of browsing through the different posts. As of this moment I am teaching myself how to learn the chords, and move my fingers on the different frets while reading them without looking, I want to be able to move fluently along the neck without looking. I will have to look into those books. Musicians Friend sent me a bad amp, so I am getting a refund on that, anyone have good advice for a nice starting amp that is cheap? The one I returned was fairly expensive haha, I don't think I need one to throw a small gig yet.

Does anyone know the first basic chords I should memorize and play fluently? Every website I visit has different chords, Or maybe I will just wander over to the basic song section and start on those. If any of you have more replies don't be shy to post! Thanks alot

Posted : 27/02/2008 5:38 pm
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member

No idea on an amp since I've still only messed with acoustic, but you should start out learning all the major chords in the first position. ABCDEFG. F and B can be tricky because they are barred chords, even though I've seen them both as open chord. Usually most people generally start out learning C D G. I believe those where my first three and if you learn those you will have the chords for more songs than you can shake a stick at. :mrgreen:

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. ~ Frank Zappa

Posted : 27/02/2008 5:49 pm
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Man my fingers really hurt from just doing the very beginner song, Question, When playing notes such as Em and Dadd6add9, What frets are my fingers supposed to be behind? the notes are in the 2nd fret from the bolt, So i would hold the strings against the Bar to the 3rd fret? or the bolt? (The 1st fret, its called the Bolt right?)

Posted : 27/02/2008 6:00 pm
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member

That would be the nut not the bolt and you would generally be behind the fret leading to the third fret correct. A fret describes the bar and the space between the bars, so when someone says second fret they will mean either the space there or the bar next to the thrid fret. I'm not to sure how Dadd6Add9 is but Em will look like this 022000. 0 standing for open and two standing for 2nd fret. You probably won't be able to get both your fingers up against the fret because of space issues and some say it easier to be away from the fret a little. The main goal is to have the chord sound clearly so hold the chord and strum each individual string to make sure you are not accedntially hitting another string and that you are holding down your strings hard enough. If it isn't clear something needs to change.

Posted : 27/02/2008 6:12 pm
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Why is my B string whisteling? I just noticed it, When I hit it and the sound stops it whistels really loud, Whats going on?

Posted : 27/02/2008 6:26 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 27/02/2008 7:47 pm
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Anyone know why my b string whistels after I hit it and the sound wears off? I really hate that

Posted : 27/02/2008 8:07 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, William! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I would suggest that you start in our Absolute Beginners section. There you can get a handle on chords and chord shapes, timing, notes on the fretboard (individual string notes and their relation to the fretboard), etc...

Expect your fingers to hurt for a little while until you build up calluses on your fingertips. Eventually, it does get to the point where you don't really feel it anymore!

This will help you to better understand the parts of the guitar.

If you're thinking of doing more fingerpicking than flatpicking (using a pick, aka plectrum), notice the Right Hand Fingering in the above picture. Note the P I M and A above the fingers. They stand for (P) Thumb, (I) Index, (M) Middle, (A) Ring. And, they are usually played as shown in the chart below. You don't have to stick to this hard and fast, though. I use my index finger a lot for the fourth string and the third. I also use my pinkie quite a bit, which isn't in the chart at all. You've got to do what works for you.

STRING FINGER
1st Ring finger (a)
2nd Middle finger (m)
3rd Index finger (i)
4th Thumb (p)
5th Thumb (p)
6th Thumb (p)

That's probably enough for now! Good luck to you!

EDIT: As for the whistling, I can't honestly say that I've ever heard a guitar whistle! Is it coming from the guitar itself or from the amp? Or possibly from the controller?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 27/02/2008 8:39 pm
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

From the guitar itself, I don't have an amp at the moment. If I hit that string kinda hard after the sound wears off it whistels kinda loud, really high pitched sound. I probably should get a pick to get a better rhythm, Thanks for the advice you guys!

Posted : 27/02/2008 11:38 pm