Clear all

New to the Guitar and the Noise!

16 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey everyone! I'm new to the guitar, had mine for about a month. Always wanted to learn to play. Now that I'm 35 and settled down in life, I needed a new hobby, so here I am. I tried to learn when I was younger, around 20ish, and actually bought an American Fender Strat at that time (1993 I think?) with intentions of learning to play. However, this was before the internet, and the only way to really learn was with lessons or (too expensive at the time) or from someone else (didn't have any friends that played) or books.

Anyways, thank goodness for technology and the internet, as I have found sites like this to help me out! (As well as various interactive computer programs and such). I can already say I'm better in 1 month than I was with way back then with 6 months with playing with that Stratocaster. Too bad that guitar is long gone, man I wish I had it back. For now I bought a cheap Dean entry level guitar (Vendetta XM). I wanted to make sure I was gonna stick with it before I dropped some cash. I'm positive I am, so now I'm looking at upgrading to a mid-range guitar, probably an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top, or Fender Mex Strat, or maybe a Dean Hardtail. Really depends on how the neck feels with my big palms and short fingers :) Once I test them all out I'll know, unless someone else has got any suggestions in the $400-$600 range.

I'd like to learn some classic rock, geek rock, and some blues as I get better.

Anything else, just ask away... I'm not shy at all, and definitely a rambler!

Thanks to all the writers at Guitarnoise also, this site rocks and I'm sure I'll be a long time member!

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

Posted : 13/07/2008 10:19 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Enosmac1972! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 13/07/2008 10:28 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!
you've got the right idea about trying out guitars first. wait till you find the right one.

#4491....

Posted : 13/07/2008 11:43 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I have a question. What is geek rock? :shock:
Anyways, welcome! You have come to the right place for people rediscovering the guitar.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 15/07/2008 6:52 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Enosmac! Plenty of tabs of "classic rock" songs in the Easy Songs forum - some are easier than you'd think!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/07/2008 12:27 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Finally, someone else from the Sunshine State.
I visit the panhandle about once a year. Have family in Destin.
I have no advice on which guitar to get.
It's too much like picking a car . . . only you don't have to consider miles/gallon . . . and I'm just starting out myself.

Geek rock?
Hmm that's new to me too. Sounds like something I would like . . . or do like . . . . only I don't know it.
Welcome, fellow Floridian.

In Miami, where it's :note1:hot, hot, hot :note2: ,
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 16/07/2008 12:36 am
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member

Welcome to the noise, enosmac.

I'm also into classic rock and getting more into blues rock (a la Stevie Ray Vaughan, Santana, etc), but being 37 yrs old I still can't help but love the 80's hair bands ie poison, white snake (aka. the never ending song :lol: ) bonjovi (the early years).

Enjoy the Noise. 8)

ROCK ON!!! :note1: :note2:

Where am I going....and why am I in this hand basket?

Posted : 17/07/2008 4:26 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Howdy, welcome to GN. I'm not from Fl but someday hope to be.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 18/07/2008 2:12 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

1972 is a fine year for guitar players. :D

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 18/07/2008 4:10 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Hey everyone! I'm new to the guitar, had mine for about a month. Always wanted to learn to play. Now that I'm 35 and settled down in life, I needed a new hobby, so here I am. I tried to learn when I was younger, ...

Anyways, thank goodness for technology and the internet, as I have found sites like this to help me out! (As well as various interactive computer programs and such). ...

I'd like to learn some classic rock, geek rock, and some blues as I get better.

Anything else, just ask away... I'm not shy at all, and definitely a rambler!

Thanks to all the writers at Guitarnoise also, this site rocks and I'm sure I'll be a long time member!

Welcome.

Haha you sound like my cosmic twin. I just joined a few days ago, myself, and tend to go on. :oops: I can't believe the information and people here. I've already made a few breakthroughs in understanding and playing. I like your taste in music too. Good stuff. :wink:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 18/07/2008 6:56 pm
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! :)

Geek Rock? Well, Weezer is one of my favorite bands, they could be considered in the "geek rock" or "nerd rock" category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek_rock

Yeah, I live about 30 minutes from Destin, it's a great area. Guess I should learn some Jimmy Buffet to please the tourists, haha.

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

Posted : 24/07/2008 2:02 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 25/07/2008 10:02 pm
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Finally, someone else from the Sunshine State.
I visit the panhandle about once a year. Have family in Destin.
I have no advice on which guitar to get.
It's too much like picking a car . . . only you don't have to consider miles/gallon . . . and I'm just starting out myself.

Geek rock?
Hmm that's new to me too. Sounds like something I would like . . . or do like . . . . only I don't know it.
Welcome, fellow Floridian.

In Miami, where it's :note1:hot, hot, hot :note2: ,
KR2

Hello Ken,If I ever sell here the plan is to get back to the WPB area in Florida.Geek rock from how it has been explained is I guess like Weezer or They Might Be Giants music.also heard it referred to as ''nerd'' rock otherwise it beats me

Heroes Don't wear capes.They wear Dog tags

Posted : 19/09/2008 3:54 am
(@marcusmd)
Eminent Member

G'day from Aus - don't think we have geek rock down here either.

Plenty of geeks tho

Marcus

Posted : 19/09/2008 6:45 am
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

G'day Marcus.you might have it but not be able to identify it.
everyplace it seems has geeks depending on how you think or describe geek :idea:

Heroes Don't wear capes.They wear Dog tags

Posted : 19/09/2008 4:04 pm
Page 1 / 2