Clear all

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@graycee_grey)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi there!

I am both a newbie to playing the acoustic guitar, and GN - I just joined the other day. I have been playing the acoustic guitar since October and am really enjoying it! It is a total stress relief and my hope is that I get better over time. Right now, my challenge is moving my fingers fast enough on the fret board in order to hit the right chords without having a time delay. :D I know, my current challenge probably sounds silly to all of the pros out there, but I guess you gotta learn somewhere, right?

I am currently taking private lessons, and my instructor has been playing for about 10 years. I am pretty comfortable with what I have learned since October, but after perusing this site and forum, I realized that there is so much more to learn!

My favorite genre of music is classic rock, and I have learned to "play" a few songs. I also have an interest in learning how to play the blues, but I imagine that will come in time. :wink:

Anyway, I just thought I would post to say "hi," and that I look forward to getting to know the other members in the community!

"Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

Posted : 15/02/2006 6:27 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN, GG!

Those chord changes, well, they will come. Just keep plugging at it. I've been hitting it seriously for about a year now, and I've got the open chords pretty much rockin', but going to/from a barre chord to/from an open chord still causes delays. It's just a matter of time.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 15/02/2006 6:42 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome, GG!

Enjoy your stay and yes you will get lots of positive influence, help and information that will send you to new heights of playing.

So tighten down your guitar strap and hang on! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 15/02/2006 7:14 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN

#4491....

Posted : 15/02/2006 7:27 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hello Graycee and welcome to GN......

"I know, my current challenge probably sounds silly to all of the pros out there, but I guess you gotta learn somewhere, right?" - wrong and right - the first is just timing, once you get the hang of chord changes, you'll find they come naturally - the scond is perfectly correct, I remember thinking years ago somrthing like "right - C to F, move this finger here.....this one here (tongue sticking out of corner of mouth....head moving right to left to chord chart) this one here and that one there...." by the time I'd got them in place, the F had changed through D Am and G..........it'll come with practise......lots of practise.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 15/02/2006 10:32 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 15/02/2006 10:40 pm
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Welcome!

Posted : 16/02/2006 1:23 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome Graycee_Grey!

We were all beginners here at one time, so no question is to silly. Alot of nice folks here willing to help out, so join the fun!

:D
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/02/2006 2:53 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I know, my current challenge probably sounds silly to all of the pros out there, but I guess you gotta learn somewhere, right?

Not silly at all. From reading these forums you will find that beginners to pro's all have the same problem. That ONE thing that they are working on that is difficult. Soon as they get past that ONE thing, there is one more. Never ends. I think you just get used to the fact that your always going to be learning something. Thats the good part.

Welcome aboard.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 16/02/2006 9:45 am