Clear all

newcoming from France

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@lizrms)
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to learn how to play the guitar for the past couple of years but I feel quite frustrated. You know this feeling of not having the abilities, I just think my nature keeps making it harder for me! So I learn songs but just dont get to own the instrument. Every 2 weeks, I have this wave of motivation in me but it sort of dies down after a moment and there comes the motivtion again afterwards... I'd love to learn how to sing too, but I guess I should be thinking "one step after another". My CD rack is full of Beatles, Clapton, CCR, Springsteen, Dylan and co. I started with a Yamaha classical guitar that was forgotten by someone at home and then, I eventually spent my savings on a beautiful blue-green electro-acoustic Yamaha folk guitar. So here I am, willing to make great progress and absolutey delighted such a complete web site exists.

Nice to meet you all!

Liz

Posted : 09/09/2006 1:03 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hello Liz

Some, might think that I am beginning to sound like a broken record, but I am not going to let that stop me from telling you the secret of success for REALLY learning the guitar. First, I want you to put it completely out of your mind that the guitar is some mystical beast that only the talented can play. I also want you to know that playing the guitar is a lifetime of enjoyment, and not something that you just learn and do. You will always for the rest of your life, be learning the guitar. Now, practice daily and always try to focus on the positive. I guarantee you that in one month you will be better than you are today, in one year you will be amazed at how far you have come. Now, so you know the pitfalls. We all experience times when we are down and feel like we should know more. Please do not let that stop you. Only let that motivate you to practice some more. Always remember, it is life time.

Singing, singing I think is more difficult but the same applies. More difficult because everyone pre concieves that "Hey, anyone should be able to do it" so they dont put as much effort into it. For me, singing without music when I practice is best. THat way I can hear every note. I ca also go back and correct. That said I also practice singing while I play my guitar so that I can get the hang of that. You can do all this.

I know my advice is common sense and everything but it really works. Just go at it with the right attitude and practice a little every day. Never stop. Never let the frustration get you down. I've only been playing for a year and I am amazed at how far I have progressed. Its because of the people here at GN, that I credit for pulling me through the bad times. Heck, one even took a sad sappy telephone call from me one night and cheered me up. LOL Great people here.

Glad you found us.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 09/09/2006 1:30 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Liz! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/09/2006 2:38 am
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

hi liz nice to meet you

tim

Tim

Posted : 11/09/2006 5:23 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Liz! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

Be sure to check out "The Other Side" - our forum for female players! Lots of good stuff there! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 11/09/2006 10:11 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Liz.

Geoo has some good information as will others on this fantastic site.

Enjoy the guitar as it will give you hours of returned pleasure and satisfaction. Someday I might know that feeling, too. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 22/09/2006 1:09 pm
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

hello hows it going

Posted : 11/10/2006 6:24 pm
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Welcome aboard Liz! 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

Posted : 11/10/2006 6:33 pm
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

HI Liz and welcome to the site. You say your wanting to learn and this site is an excellant sorce for learning. Don't be afraid to ask questions cause everyone here is very nice and are always willing to help out anyway they can.

Hope to see you around the forums and good luck.

Ginger :)

Posted : 11/10/2006 7:46 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 12/10/2006 7:57 am