Nick Names

73 Posts
55 Users
0 Likes
21.2 K Views
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Ha - I love this thread.

All (ok, most) of you have really interesting stories!

My nickname started in college. I organized a lot of parties and games and random college stuff and people started calling me the Dali Lima (instead of Steve Lima) obviously referencing the spiritual tibetan leadership of the Dalai Lama. Of course, none of us knew how to spell it, so everyone started writing it like the artist (Salvatore Dali) and it ended up as The Dali Lima.

The name really became popular for me after college when I started playing in a bunch of golf tournaments and leagues... so the obvious Caddyshack golf references started getting used quite a bit: The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

So from there... it took off...In fact, most people just call me The Dali.

I use that name on most online boards and sites... so if you see The Dali Lima, or The_Dali_Lima somewhere give a shout because it is probably me!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

Posted : 15/06/2006 1:23 pm
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member

bourgeois is for my bourgeois acoustic guitar. babe sounded good and makes sense since I am a beginner.

Life pushes hard. Push back.

Posted : 24/06/2006 6:28 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Mine is a Nick name I got back in High School....when I lived in Hawaii.. All by buddies would ever see on my arm were Blond's...

Then one guy called me Dagwood and said cuz like the real Dagwood, Husband of the famous Cartoon Character BLONDIE...you always have a blond on your arm whenever I see you... what's up with that?

Well a buch of my buddies were there and the name Stuck! :oops: :oops: :lol:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 24/06/2006 8:53 pm
(@captain-kalooba)
Eminent Member

Mine isn't really a nickname, My friend went to a grocery store and was looking for the most generic thing he could possibly find. He eventually found a huge jar of peanut butter with a pirate on the label the brand was "Captain Kalooba Peanut Butter" I just thought that it was really funny when he told me about it.

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free. - Jim Morrison

Posted : 28/06/2006 8:54 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've had a few nicknames in my time.....most of them unrepeatable on a family forum....

But my favourite one dates back to grammar school, circa 1974......

I was chosen to play Cricket, pupils against Teachers....and a few of the teachers played in local league cricket, a couple were really good, and played Lancashire League Cricket, played against high class - in some cases, because the money was so good, world-class cricketers.....

Anyway, we (the pupils) batted first - scored about 100 all out, my contribution was to be run out without facing a ball.....

We thought we had no chance of bowling them out for less than that, even our captain was so pessimistic he should've taken up guitar and made a career out of the blues......

I had the game of my life.....took three wickets in the first four balls....then managed to get a bouncer past the one teacher I really detested - the ball hit him in the mouth, he was taken to hospital, had several stitches....by this time I was well fired up, and the next teacher in said "you're nothing but a thug......haven't I taught you anything?" - so I bowled him a bouncer - he swayed out of the way,and said, "apparently not...." next ball I gave him another bouncer, he swayed out of the way, and said "THUG!" - I said, "hey you picked me for the school team....." the ball after that, I had him clean bowled - he was backing away so far from the wickets, I could take my pick - knocked all three down.......

As he was going off, he looked at me and snarled "THUG!" under his breath.....I got stuck with that for years......

Next game we played, he threw me the ball and said "get 'em THUG".......

A few years later, I played against the great Viv Richards in the Lancashire League - I didn't get him out, wow that would have been something to write home about....he hit me for a couple of sixes, but he did have the good grace to duckaway from my bouncers.......and I did get an autograph and a "Well bowled Man!" off him - that meant a LOT.....one of the greatest cricketers the world has ever seen tells you you bowled well, that means a LOT.....

But the "THUG" thing stuck around for a few years.......I'm a very easy-going guy, don't have an enemy in the world - I hope!

I'm not evil - just very competitive!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 28/06/2006 11:29 pm
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

God! I thought that hockey was confusing!

(Another confused colonial!) :lol: :oops:

Go Steelers! :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 29/06/2006 10:31 pm
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Hey, just imagine what they think of American Football!
Go Eagles( :oops: oops, can't say that-they stink!)

Posted : 01/07/2006 4:16 am
 XXXX
(@xxxx)
Eminent Member

My name is my favourite beer (xxxx) or fourex
I made a promise recently to my girlfriend to give the beeer away

I must be in love :lol:

Yeah Baby Yeah

Posted : 28/07/2006 8:26 am
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Hey I am the gran daddy around here , Lotto is my grandads name and my last name is King
So I thought what a terrific name "Lotto King"
Nothing to do with the fact of ever winning anything yet alone the lotto as some people have asked
But I do know there is one lucky member in here who won a fair bit in Lotto , but thats their business not mine

Hello to all that don't know me , and hello to all that do know me ...

I am 66 years old now and fighting fit and just listened to Wolfmother , so I am really young at heart

Where has this thread been hideing ? I never saw it before

Lotto

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

Posted : 28/07/2006 8:33 am
(@valleykayaker)

I live in California's Central Valley and enjoy kayaking.

Posted : 28/07/2006 8:52 am
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

My favorite blues player is Albert King and he plays a Flying V. Couldn't think of anything so i thought it sounded kinda cool and didn't think anyone else would be using it. Plus he looks so awesome in the Live in Sweden DVD, I had to honor that somehow.

Posted : 31/07/2006 1:19 am
(@aarrgg)
Eminent Member

My nick was originally my Battlefield 2 nick. I came up with it because it's the most common sound people outside my room will hear :twisted: :D and it's quite striking when the message log shows "Aarrgg: enemy forces!" :)

Finally I must greet my newly discovered fellow scandinavians at the beginning of this topic:
Tja! Nils, Larsko och alla andra som klarar av att läsa det här. :D

"I face myself, to cross out what I've become
erase myself, and let go of what I've done"
- Linkin Park

Posted : 31/07/2006 10:33 pm
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

Hi all!
I'm a newb to the site! The name's from Nirvana (love 'em) and I deal with chemical stuff in the Army.

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

Posted : 01/08/2006 9:18 am
Page 5 / 5