Notifications
Clear all

Olá from the Unlikely Guitarist

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rubyjewelstone)
Topic starter

Oi galera! I'm Sherise and I'm new here. I've always wanted to play the guitar since it looked interesting, but never took the initiative, but now I've got a bit of free time since I'm on summer vacation.

Yes, summer, some of you all probably think I'm going mad, but, hey I warned you I was an unlikely guitarist... :lol:

See, I'm kicking it in the southern hemisphere at the moment, Salvador da Bahia in Brazil to be exact. And I'm actually not even into any of the styles of music that would usually entail a guitar since I've always been more into hip-hop (don't judge, loves!). Friends have been trying to convert me to rock for ages now with no avail. Nevertheless, I've always been secretly jealous of guitarists, since it looks like a ton of fun. And now, I want to borrow my host dad's guitar and learn a little.

Oh, I didn't mention, I'm an exchange student too. I'm really from Miami, Florida and I'm spending a year in Brazil with a host family with Rotary International.

Of course I have noooooooooo idea where to begin! It would be nice to make a decent sound for one thing. And I know how to read music since I used to play the Alto Sax in middle school, so that absence of that it even more mind-boggling for me! But it's never too late to learn something new. If my tenor sax buddy could pick it up, I'm sure I can!

So yeah, I'm new, I don't know the first thing about playing this darn thing, and I probably should go clip my nails. 8)

Posted : 10/12/2008 5:23 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN Sherise! :D Yes, start by clipping those nails, then dig in to the beginner's lessons here at GN. Have fun in Brazil! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 10/12/2008 8:03 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Sherise! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/12/2008 6:21 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 23/12/2008 12:09 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Howdy. Welcome aboard.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 23/12/2008 3:27 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Hey Sherise.
Welcome to GN.

We're shivering in Miami.
It got down to the 70's today (finally got to turn off the AC)

How are the beaches there?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 23/12/2008 6:49 pm