Old Bluesplayer in Kalamazoo

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Greetings all!

I'm a 50-YO bluesplayer in Kalamazoo Michigan. Been playing for over 35 years now. I play in a regional gospel-based blues band.
I'm also a retired electronics technician, with about the same number of years of vacuum-tube amp experience in both the repair and design/construction areas. I play strictly by ear, so my contributions to the forum in the music theory area will be meager. However, I hope to be able to provide a helping hand especially in the area of amps/FX/general electronics and also in the areas of practical onstage/performance/setup techniques and tips.

My main working guitar is a G&L Tribute Legacy, which I play through either or both a Seymour-Duncan 84-40 1-12 all-tube combo (4-6BQ5/EL84's), and a modified (by me) Stromberg-Carlson Signet 22 early-'60s era PA amp (2-6BQ5/EL84's w/GZ34 rectifier) pushing a 2-12 cabinet.

Strat

Posted : 31/10/2007 11:09 pm
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Hi Strat,

And welcome. :)

I would love to be able to say one day that I've been playing for 35 years but as I'm about to turn 59 and have only been playing for a few weeks, I doubt that's going to happen. :lol:

Stromberg-Carlson is a name I haven't heard for a long time. Did they make TVs? I seem to recall our family having a Stromberg-Carlson TV in the late 50s, perhaps early 60s.

Cheers,
Ron ...

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 31/10/2007 11:53 pm
(@wrkngclsshero)
Trusted Member

I've been to Kalamzoo once before. Welcome to the forums.

"A working class hero is something to be..." -J. Lennon

Posted : 01/11/2007 10:31 pm
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the warm greetings!

wrkngclsshero, hope your visit was a pleasant one.

Dalron, you are correct sir. Stromberg-Carlson was a prolific electronics manufacturer who made telephones, radios, and TVs among many products. They started with telephones in *1894*!!!! Keep an eye out for their PA amps from the '50s and early '60s, as they make absolutely awesome guitar amps with very little modification (outside of the usual work a vintage amp would require to be restored to safe working order..grounded power cord, new filter caps/tubes, etc), usually mostly a matter of replacing the mic connectors with 1/4-inch phone jacks, and maybe also adding a 1/4-inch phone jack for ease in connecting a speaker cabinet.

Cheers!

Strat

Posted : 02/11/2007 12:19 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Strat! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/11/2007 12:27 am
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Strat,

My late grandfather was a radio technician in the air force and then when into commercial radio. He died in the early 80s and when my family cleaned out his garage/shed we dumped a lot of handmade PA-style valve amps and even worse, hundreds of brand new valves still in their boxes plus wiring, knobs etc etc.

I was interested in guitars and amps in those days but I could cry now when I think of all that stuff buried under tons of refuse at the rubbish dump. :cry:

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 02/11/2007 9:47 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Strat! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 03/11/2007 12:55 am
(@bluenotefla)
Estimable Member

Hello I love this site and you will be a great resource for many of us.

Life is not what you did. It's what you are doing.

Posted : 05/11/2007 2:07 pm
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

welcome Stratman 8) ps thanks for you input for my thred

Posted : 06/11/2007 12:22 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 13/11/2007 2:22 pm