Clear all

Old dude with a stringed noisemaker

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mystery2me)
Topic starter

Hello,
I am new to the forum and to guitar. All my moms best attempts to teach me piano, organ, playing sax in school, later hammered dulcimer and now guitar....master of none, plinker on any and all. At my now more senior years I would like to actually become proficient at an instrument and so here we go. I have a Yamaha FG730 bought a year or two ago but only recently started paying her much attention. I look forward to the adventure.

Phil
Gapland MD

Posted : 23/02/2017 12:06 am
(@landog)
Eminent Member

Hey Phil, welcome!

I'm an older beginner too, about 2 weeks in.

One of my dogs still leaves the room whenever I pick up the guitar. Hopefully that will change soon.

Cheers!
Steve

Posted : 23/02/2017 3:55 pm
(@mystery2me)
Topic starter

Funny, actually the wife wanders on while I practice. I think she likes knowing where I am. Kind of like putting a bell on my collar.

Phil

Posted : 23/02/2017 5:02 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to the forum!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 24/02/2017 5:31 am
(@landog)
Eminent Member

Hey Phil,

That's funny about the wife.

How is your practice going?

My fingers are killing me still, but I can now go about 15 minutes practicing chords before I have to give them a break.

I've been able to manage about 2 hrs a day between sight reading training, chords, and scales.

It's slow going but I can see progress.

Cheers!
Steve

Posted : 24/02/2017 12:42 pm
(@mystery2me)
Topic starter

Steve,
So far I've been putting half an hour to an hour a day mixing just scales and chord progressions to beat with learning some simple songs (hey joe, brown eyed girl, teach your children, house of rising sun...) fingers are tender for sure but it's hard to put it down right now. I would love to sing my wife one song at some point. I do need to work on basic music reading skills but right now I am learning my way around the dang guitar frontier.

Phil

Posted : 24/02/2017 11:45 pm
(@landog)
Eminent Member

•••fingers are tender for sure but it's hard to put it down right now.

Same here Phil. Right now I'm learning Walk of life and Bad Moon Rising.

I've never had any musical training before, so reading notes is a big hill for me to climb.

Cheers!
Steve

Posted : 25/02/2017 12:34 pm
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

GOOD JOB BOYS!!

The wife & dog bits are funny too :)

You dont need to read music to play well. You do need to know how to get info off the page and into the guitar. That can be tabs, scale/chord charts, OR reading music. Obviously the more formats you can 'read' the more material you'll have at your fingertips (see what I did there?) There's piles of info on youtube. Try and find info on developing an efficient practice routine & then make it a regular thing!

You boys are doing it! Keep it up and HMU if you I can be of help :)

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

Posted : 25/02/2017 7:01 pm
(@landog)
Eminent Member

Thanks Lesspaul!

The Hal Leonard books I have start with basic sight reading exercises and they're fun and challenging.

I spent about 1.5 hours with that and another 1.5 hours practicing chord changes and strumming. Finished up with 20 minutes of scales.

A pretty productive day today.

Cheers!
Steve

Posted : 26/02/2017 12:37 am
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

Awesome Steve! keep on truckin' :) :)

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

Posted : 26/02/2017 1:57 am
 Bish
(@bish)