Older Beginners?

50 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello all.

45 year old male in Columbus, Ohio. Going for my second lesson tonight. I have a Squire Tele and a Squire acoustic. I'm still trying to get my left hand in shape.

:?: But I was curious, is there anyone else out there that started "late"? How old were you when you started? How far have you come?

Have a good one!
:)

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

Posted : 27/02/2008 2:37 pm
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member

Started lessons about 10 months ago just before my 40th birthday. I have learned some chords (and can switch fairly quicly), some progressions and some riffs - just have not really put together whole recognizable songs yet.

But, I don't have a lot of free time to devote to it so I am happy with my progress...

I am still having fun which is all that really counts!

Posted : 27/02/2008 2:47 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I actually started when I was 13, played for about 10 years or so, put it down for another 20 or so years, then picked it back up in my mid 40's. I'm now 51 (52 in 2 weeks :roll: ). There are a lot of "older beginners" here! :D You're in good company!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 27/02/2008 3:51 pm
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I started when I was 13 and played until I was about 20 without really learning anything. I picked it up again a few years ago when I was 33.

Posted : 27/02/2008 4:33 pm
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Welcome from a fellow late bloomer. Started about 2 months ago shortly after I turned 40 and loving every minute of it. I've been diligently working through a handful of books (primarily Hal Leonard's Guitar Method (made it to book 2), and Blues You Can Use, at least 1-2 hours a night, 2-3 on weekends) to teach myself. To answer your question, it's a little hard for me to define my progress per se outside of saying I'm generally happy with were I am and look forward to getting better every day. Lately I've been working on learning my first barre chords (ouch!!!) and focusing a little more on scales as I get more into the Blues You Can Use.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

Posted : 04/03/2008 8:56 pm
(@larry-briggs)

I've played off and on for many years, mostly off tho. Until recently that is. A few months ago I found guitarnoise and have been taking the online lessons of David Hodge. It is all starting to make sense and he makes the lessons interesting and fun. I took a couple lessons years ago and was really turned off by what I experienced. :D I can even finally play some real songs to where others can recognize them. I play a 6 string acoustic Takamine. I'm 54 and finally starting to enjoy playing guitar. Why did I wait so long? :D

Posted : 05/03/2008 6:06 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It would seem, from this site anyway, that a lot of people are taking up guitar in their forties - perhaps it's the new male menopausal toy? Cheaper than a Porsche or a Harley - and less dangerous!

I'd been playing since my teens, on and off....knew a lot of songs, as long as they were G - Em - C - D or A - D - E. I joined GN about 4 years ago, age 46 - since then, I've learned quite a bit of theory, chord construction, etc and a hell of a lot of songs I'd never have dreamed of trying before!

I'd written quite a few songs as well, all very samey-sounding - same three/four chords, same rhythm etc. My writing's improved a lot, too - most of that is down to participation in the Sunday Songwriter's Group on a fairly regular basis. So I think I've come a LONG way in the last four years - playing, singing, writing, everything's improved hugely. At least I think so....!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 07/03/2008 11:45 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I didn't start in my 40's but I'm there now so welcome aboard and enjoy yourself!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 08/03/2008 4:48 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

I first bought a guitar aged about 18 many, many, moons ago.

Tried to play for about three months but had a lot of trouble learning as I'm hopelessly left handed. Never thought of swapping the strings over at the time (wish I had though).

Anyway started playing again about 4 years ago aged nearly 50. Got myself a left handed guitar for Christmas from my wife.
I joined guitarnoise about the same time as Vic Lewis, got hooked on David Hodge's excellent lessons here and haven't looked back since. I love playing guitar but I know I'm on a long but very rewarding learning curve. I've even done a few open mics and that is something I woudn't have had the nerve to do when I was 18 even if I could have been able to play then.

So enjoy it Fred you are in good company here.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 08/03/2008 10:39 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN! 49 here, a beginner for 36 years and still lovin' it!

#4491....

Posted : 08/03/2008 11:31 pm
 vgo
(@vgo)

Not sure if I'm old enough, but I'm 33 and started playing a month ago. I played a bit when I was 14-15, but lost interest after a while... Got a pretty good start already, been doing mostly finger exercises to get my fingers working again, some chords etc.

At the moment I'm trying to learn to play Paranoid by Black Sabbath. :)

Posted : 09/03/2008 8:34 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Not sure if I'm old enough, but I'm 33 and started playing a month ago. I played a bit when I was 14-15, but lost interest after a while... Got a pretty good start already, been doing mostly finger exercises to get my fingers working again, some chords etc.

At the moment I'm trying to learn to play Paranoid by Black Sabbath. :)

Welcome to GN, young vgo! And welcome back to guitar! There's a few different ways to play Paranoid - me, I go for the easy way every time. I tabbed it out a while back, you can find it in the Easy Song Database.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 09/03/2008 2:45 pm
 vgo
(@vgo)

Well, at least you didn't call me "young padawan"! For which I'm forever grateful! :D

I'd really like to learn to play properly and so far especially the Internet has been very helpfull to learn different techniques. Back then it was quite difficult to get information (let alone tutorial videos etc.) about them.

I'm a metalhead and mostly interested in the various genres of extreme metal, but I like to play a bit "softer" stuff too. It's funny how some music that you never actually listen to normally can be quite interesting when you play it yourself.

I had a look on the Paranoid tab, guess there's just as many ways to play a song as there's guitar players... :)

Posted : 10/03/2008 9:21 am
 bit
(@bit)

I'm pretty shocked at the responses here, I turn 40 in a while and decided tonight that I was going to try and learn guitar. If for no other reason than I always wanted to as a teenager but never did, I want no regrets in my life.

Maybe it is a 40's thing, anyway good to see I'm in good company.

Posted : 16/03/2008 4:20 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Go for it bit! You won't be sorry. It is a very rewarding hobby.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 18/03/2008 2:01 am
Page 1 / 4