Clear all

Older Beginners?

50 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I'm pretty shocked at the responses here, I turn 40 in a while and decided tonight that I was going to try and learn guitar. If for no other reason than I always wanted to as a teenager but never did, I want no regrets in my life.

Maybe it is a 40's thing, anyway good to see I'm in good company.

You can do or no do... no try!! LOL sorry that was my best Karate Kid impression. Its fairly accurate though. Anyone that takes up guitar and puts a daily or every other daily committment into playing it will learn it. We all get down, disappointed, and discouraged at times but the ones that continue though those moments learn to play and find happiness in it.

I am 38, started about three years ago. What I've learned so far isnt as important to me as the fact that I am still playing.

Best of luck
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 18/03/2008 3:06 pm
(@gpark85)

Hello everyone! I cannot believe how many people out there are picking up the guitar so late... I guess it's never too late though. I also am 40 and have wanted to play ever since I could remember, but never did. I feel I didn't want to get involved in it and fail... guess I was a little scared. Anyway, got a wild hair up my butt 3 weeks ago and bought a KH202 and a Line6 2x75. Guitar is beautiful and amp is LOUD. Started in the book with "notes on 1st string, 2nd string, etc. I'd like to be able to play a little Seether, Godsmack, Green Day... ultimately "One" by Metallica. Yes I am still a metal head at age 40. Where do I start? Reading music, notes, scales, chords? I really want to do this, but I guess I'm just looking for the easiest way to learn. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Posted : 20/03/2008 9:37 pm
 vgo
(@vgo)

Nice to see another fellow metal head on the forums. :)

For me Fret>jam has been an invaluable source. It has great section for metal guitar techniques, it even has dedicated sections for death metal and thrash. it has a bunch of tabs to practice and most importantly it has sound examples for all licks/riffs!

The most important accessory to get is a metronome. I dismissed at first, but now I always do even my warm up exorcises with it, there's Flash/software metronomes on the net.

Posted : 21/03/2008 6:56 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Hello everyone! I cannot believe how many people out there are picking up the guitar so late... I guess it's never too late though. I also am 40 and have wanted to play ever since I could remember, but never did. I feel I didn't want to get involved in it and fail... guess I was a little scared. Anyway, got a wild hair up my butt 3 weeks ago and bought a KH202 and a Line6 2x75. Guitar is beautiful and amp is LOUD. Started in the book with "notes on 1st string, 2nd string, etc. I'd like to be able to play a little Seether, Godsmack, Green Day... ultimately "One" by Metallica. Yes I am still a metal head at age 40. Where do I start? Reading music, notes, scales, chords? I really want to do this, but I guess I'm just looking for the easiest way to learn. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to GN Gpark, drop by the Meet and greet forum and introduce yourself

#4491....

Posted : 21/03/2008 9:49 am
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

Yeah, I'm not quite in my 40's - 33, actually - but I started in January of this year. It's a lot of fun, and I'm enjoying some progress. It does seem like a lot of adult guys are jumping in to learn something that is stereotypically a teenager kind of thing, and that's pretty cool.

Posted : 21/03/2008 1:43 pm
 bit
(@bit)

Nice to see another fellow metal head on the forums. :)

For me Fret>jam has been an invaluable source. It has great section for metal guitar techniques, it even has dedicated sections for death metal and thrash. it has a bunch of tabs to practice and most importantly it has sound examples for all licks/riffs!

The most important accessory to get is a metronome. I dismissed at first, but now I always do even my warm up exorcises with it, there's Flash/software metronomes on the net.

I like tons of music but I'm primarily a metalhead too. Everything from 70's - now.

metronome is next on my list.

m/

Posted : 24/03/2008 6:02 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I'm 45 going on 18.

Picked up the guitar when I was 15 yrs old, learned three chords, Tried to be as impresive as I could by playing the riff to "house of the rising sun" to as many people that would listen. After playing that 1900 times, I put the guitar down and came back to it about two years ago. Been through all of the same growing pains as everyone else. Still learning, still lamenting that I should have started earlier https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36932 . But I'm loving every step of the way. I don't care where I should be in my progress as a guitarist, I'm perfectly happy where I am, right now.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 24/03/2008 4:27 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I started when I was about 15 but back then there was no internet or tabs and I couldn't take lessons, so that didn't go very far.
I always wished I learned to play so I started again at age 36. I'm 38 now and am progressing slowly due to lack of practice time with a full time job, college classes at night and a new baby, but I am still trying. I find that even just practicing chords or a simple song relaxes me and makes me feel good. :)

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 24/03/2008 7:37 pm
(@ryler)

Hi, first post. I started this year at 46. Kind of through the back door when I signed my son up for lessons and went with him to each one. I fell in love with it while my son only has a mild appreciation for guitar! Anway, I plug away and today progress was recognizable. (Sometimes I only pin my hopes on progress, but can't really detect any. Today was a good day.)

So yeah, maybe there is a mid-life thing going on. Good to be among peers.

Posted : 30/04/2008 8:26 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Welcome to the old farts guitar center!!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 01/05/2008 3:34 am
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Looks like I'm the oldest beginner in this thread: I started three years ago at age 56. However, I have had a stop/start time due to health problems and am no further along than I was at 56.

I had to stop last November and haven't touched a guitar since. I restart lessons next week with some trepidation. Having to start at the beginning again is taking some effort but as the song says, 'It's now or never.'

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 01/05/2008 7:06 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Looks like I'm the oldest beginner in this thread: I started three years ago at age 56.

Thank goodness! :lol: I was beginning to think that I was the oldest! Thank you for being older than me! :lol:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 01/05/2008 7:12 pm
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Looks like I'm the oldest beginner in this thread: I started three years ago at age 56.

Thank goodness! :lol: I was beginning to think that I was the oldest! Thank you for being older than me! :lol:

Thank you for my breakfast coffee first laugh of the day (it's 6.30am Friday here).

Hope you have a great weekend, youngster! :mrgreen:

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 01/05/2008 7:33 pm
(@lazlong)

I had a guitar when I was 15 and wasn't successful with it.

Now I'm 41 and I've learned more in two months than I did in two years back then.

I don't expect to become a guitar "hero" in my lifetime. I only want to prove to myself that I can do what I wanted to do back then.

It helps that I have more disposable income and the internet to help me along on my journey.

Posted : 02/05/2008 4:57 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise

I started at the tender age of 41

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 08/05/2008 8:03 pm
Page 2 / 4