Notifications
Clear all

Older Beginners?

50 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Wow - just seen this, I got a guitar for my 40th too! Looks like i'm in good company :D
Hello everyone! I cannot believe how many people out there are picking up the guitar so late... I guess it's never too late though. I also am 40 and have wanted to play ever since I could remember, but never did. I feel I didn't want to get involved in it and fail... guess I was a little scared. Anyway, got a wild hair up my butt 3 weeks ago and bought a KH202 and a Line6 2x75. Guitar is beautiful and amp is LOUD. Started in the book with "notes on 1st string, 2nd string, etc. I'd like to be able to play a little Seether, Godsmack, Green Day... ultimately "One" by Metallica. Yes I am still a metal head at age 40. Where do I start? Reading music, notes, scales, chords? I really want to do this, but I guess I'm just looking for the easiest way to learn. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Snap! - I've got the KH202 and Line6, I love the KH202 - excellent sound. I can do the intro to One - but not up to the solo yet :D

Posted : 15/07/2010 9:43 am
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Long time no post. I too started 'again' at 40 and had my Gordon Smith as a 40th present. Nearly 5 years on and not improved much...............keep telling myself to get going again.

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 07/08/2010 7:13 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I too haven't progressed much . . . not as much as I would like.
It would be soooo much easier if I had been born with the gift or talent.
But since I wasn't, I do it the hard way . . . and that is to work at it.
At least this way I appreciate those who do play well . . . and just sigh . . . and say "I wish . . ."

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 07/08/2010 10:44 am
(@cchonos)

I guess I wouldn't say I'm an old beginner, but I did start playing when I was 37, so I guess a little older. I did start playing a little bit when I was about 12 or so, but never had the patience for it; and now I have the patience, but wish I had a little more natural talent. I have written a couple of songs and keep working at perfecting those chords. I don't think you can ever be too old to do something that you really love.

Posted : 11/08/2010 8:28 pm
(@ripley-exile)

Hi,

Does 38 count as an older beginner? Obviously not as old as some of the ages mentioned, but older than I thought was a good starting age. I got myself an acoustic as a birthday present to myself a couple of weeks ago and I'm in the process of loosing the feeling in my left finger tips. I want to be able to play finger style, but changing chords quick enough is a challenge at the moment. Here starts the long journey.

I always wanted to learn guitar, but never got around to it and I'm alot nearer to 40 than I used to be. My target is to be able to play before I reach 40 so that I can put it in the back of my inappropriate sports car when the mid-life crisis kicks in. :D

Posted : 13/09/2010 12:21 pm
Page 4 / 4