Clear all

Oldie but Newbie!

20 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@pebbles)
Topic starter

Hi Everyone.
I'm so happy to have come across this site.
A quick bio... I'm an American living in the UK for 9 years. I'm a young mum of FORTY TWO and for fun I decided to try to teach myself guitar. I've been reading a lot on justinguitar.com and he recommended starting off with an electric so I bought a second hand electric with small amp. I'm an extremely patient person (thank god!) but I don't know if it's my guitar or my weak little fingers, but I'm trying to learn the very basics with scales but when fretting I have to press SO HARD on the strings my fingers feel like they're nearly gonna bleed! I know it's common to have numb fingertips to start but even when pressing so hard my sounds still sound very flat or even muted. I was at this all afternoon yesterday and today with my numb fingers and have yet to make a single decent sound from my guitar. Seems its all tuned properly. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I tried with my sons acoustic guitar and it wasnt so bad.
I really need some words of advice and encouragement before my second hand guitar becomes fire wood! :o))
Cheers Everyone and thanks in advance!
Pebs

Posted : 21/08/2009 12:08 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Your best option is to take it to a guitar shop and have them set it up properly. It may be that the string height needs adjustment and it may cause you to have to press extra hard on the strings.

Once you have the action lowered you still may have some discomfort in your fingertips until you build up callouses. If it really hurts to much just take a break for awhile.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 21/08/2009 12:54 pm
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

I am 36 and just started learning... it is never too late!

It is possible that your guitar is not set up right (action too high), has the wrong type of strings for you, old strings, etc, etc. Most staff at (private) music stores are great and perhaps you should bring your guitar in for an opinion. They can tell you if it is you or the guitar. Or if you have a friend or coworker than plays, they can help you look at it too.

You can also try tuning your guitar a half step down and putting a capo on the first fret. If that works for you, the action might be a little too high (others, please correct me, or explain this if I am wrong...)

Also, make sure you are pressing in the right spot... just behind the fret - not in the middle, between frets.

Over all... you probably really should have someone help you in person right off. You need a properly set up guitar and beginner technique , or you will just get frustrated and quit. Might as well make it as easy on yourself as possible right off the bat.

Keep at it. There will be hard times and if you can make it through them, you are on your way.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

Posted : 21/08/2009 1:02 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I started at 45. I'll never be "good," but I have fun with it! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 21/08/2009 3:02 pm
(@pebbles)
Topic starter

Thanks for all who responded. I'll take all your advice and get things sorted out. I'm not a quitter by any means but it's frustrating know I'm doing something wrong and don't know how to correct it.
To be honest yesteday was the first day I ever even picked up a guitar! :o) But according to Guitar Hero "I Rock"! he he he..
Cheers again everyone!
Pebs

Posted : 21/08/2009 3:31 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

welcome to this great site.

if you take up guitar it will be with you forever.
remember a few things:
1.guitar is a journey (that's the forever part).
2.as soon as possible play with some else. it really really helps things
3.you will have sore fingers and buzzing strings for awhile.
4.just when the fingers feel better and the buzzing chords sound better you will break a string.
5.one day you will find yourself playing something you had never thought of before and you will be amazed.
6.one day you will feel badly stuck in the same old rut seemingly forever.
7. repeat number 5.
8. repeat number 6.
9.don't press on top the fret wire. press behind it.
10. you will love your callouses.

I hope this helps. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 21/08/2009 5:22 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi Pebbles! Welcome to the forum. You've had plenty of support and advice already from the forum, and cheers to all that. :D

It sounds like you'll be off to a good guitar-start. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 21/08/2009 6:45 pm
(@pebbles)
Topic starter

Cheers Blue Jay! I feel fortunate to have found this forum!

And thanks for your response Dogbite. I read your post a few times and somehow I feel I'll never forget some of those things! :D

Posted : 21/08/2009 7:38 pm
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Electric guitar mom. HELLZ YEAH xD

:P It's so cool that you are playing guitar, keep at it, follow the advice these guys give, they are great.

I wish my mum played electric guitar ( or took interest in it ) xD, keep at it, and good luck :D.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Posted : 21/08/2009 7:58 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

And thanks for your response Dogbite. I read your post a few times and somehow I feel I'll never forget some of those things! :D

yes. please let us know if any of the things I mentioned occur.
you'll have to tell us the first string break experience. those are always good.
all the best towards your journey. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 21/08/2009 8:52 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 22/08/2009 10:46 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Pebbles! 8)

Guitar is a tricky instrument to learn. It takes patience, timing, and a lot of muscle memory to teach your fingers to do what you want them to do. Stick with it and the rewards will come. Remember, if guitar was easy, everyone would be doing it! :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 22/08/2009 11:20 am
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN! :D
welcome to this great site.

if you take up guitar it will be with you forever.
remember a few things:
1.guitar is a journey (that's the forever part).
2.as soon as possible play with some else. it really really helps things
3.you will have sore fingers and buzzing strings for awhile.
4.just when the fingers feel better and the buzzing chords sound better you will break a string.
5.one day you will find yourself playing something you had never thought of before and you will be amazed.
6.one day you will feel badly stuck in the same old rut seemingly forever.
7. repeat number 5.
8. repeat number 6.
9.don't press on top the fret wire. press behind it.
10. you will love your callouses.

I hope this helps. :)
+1

Posted : 22/08/2009 9:12 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Another +1 to Dogbite's list. :)

I started at 58 and I'm already a legend in my own lounge-room (tomorrow the kitchen, next month the world.... :roll: ). It just takes time and repetition.

One thing that I'd recommend is not to get too hung up on trying to sprint down what is an endless road. What has proved to work well for me is to push steadily on into unknown territory for a while, and then go back and revise and revisit where you've come from. It's amazing (not to mention satisfying and fun...) to go back and do things that were a real struggle when you began, and find that they're not only much easier but that they're starting to sound musical rather than just clumsy. You can do a lot with a very small range of tools in your kit. Three basic chords (A, D and E are a good start as you can leave use one finger as an 'anchor' while you move the other two) and/or 5 notes for the melody are enough to play hundreds of songs - it's making those basic elements get up and sing that takes the time and practice.

Good luck with the journey.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 23/08/2009 12:11 am
(@pebbles)
Topic starter

Cheers everyone for your kind welcomes and words of advice! Fingers sore and numb but that must be a good sign!
Pebs

Posted : 23/08/2009 8:31 pm
Page 1 / 2