(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Bleeding fingers are badges of honor! Welcome to GN

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 15/09/2009 8:29 am
(@selzam)

HI all - another Oldie/Newbie here (I'm 46) - took lessons 20 years ago, kept some of the old books (Mel Bay and William Leavitt modern method books) and have no time for a private instructor. Any further recommendations as far as reading material/media?

Thanks! - Scott

Posted : 18/09/2009 6:48 pm
(@maelendiir)
Eminent Member

Welcome aboard, Scott

I'm very new myself, only been playing for a month or so, and just booked in for 1-to-1 guitar lessons, first one starts on Monday!

As far as reading material, I've found this site / forum to be incredibly helpful - it really has so much information, for free.

There's a forum user here called Noteboat - Tom, I think, who's published a guitar theory book. I've not seen it myself, but heard some very good things.

Welcome back to the guitar

:note1:

Posted : 19/09/2009 8:54 am
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I would like to recommend that you use a light gauge string , at least at first . They wil be easier on the fingers and easier to get a decent tone from your guitar . When you have built up your calluses sufficiently you can try heavier gauges if you like . It will be your own preference as to what string gauge you wind up using , some prefer very heavy gauges and others very light .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Posted : 19/09/2009 4:02 pm
(@dr_faustus)

As another oldie but newbie - I started playing at 40 (I'm now 42) and as a fellow America living in England, I'd like to say just enjoy playing. There's a brilliant little book called Zen Guitar that I've found hugely helpful; not in terms of technique but about attitude. The calluses will come - make sure you have the guitar set up properly - that made a huge difference for me. And find songs that you love - that makes playing all the easier.

Posted : 29/09/2009 6:16 pm
Page 2 / 2