Notifications
Clear all

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey...

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@johnny99)
Topic starter

Hi - brand new to the site and basically new to the guitar. I was hoping to find some feedback from pros that might be able to help me pick up where I left off. I started playing in Nov 2007 and was progressing well, going to all my lessons, practicing, etc., and then I had a very bad motorcycle accident. Without going into the gory details, I wound up with a brachial plexus injury that has semi-paralyzed my right (dominant) arm. I still have function in my forearm and hand, but my right bicep and deltoid have little or no innervation (even after four nerve transfers). I can no longer strum with a pick because I can't move my arm/wrist very much. I can use my thumb and was hoping to learn some new techniques that would help me overcome this handicap. I literally just started playing some notes last night for the first time since the accident (Sep 2008).

Thanks for any advice you might have,
Frank

Posted : 04/02/2010 9:03 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi Frank, welcome! I have two friends with motorcycle injuries, one can use his arms, the other has lost most of the use of his rt. dominant forearm and hand. We worked on making some picks, he had to take it further and attach them to himself but that is not relevant.

Umm.... there are probably some lessons here on fingerpicking and people around with personal experience as teachers.

I'd just like to point out or mention the name Lindsey Buckingham (here on the forum) again :roll: , he didn't like to use a pick worth a darn, used his thumb and had to be forced by Mick Fleetwood not only to get a louder guitar, but with all of Mick's drums and Christine MacVie's keyboards, maybe use a real pick sometimes. :lol:

Back in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEi7GPkxfsE

and much more recently:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrk3n_fleetwood-mac-dreams_music

All the best, good luck with the playing buddy. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 05/02/2010 1:20 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Frank! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 13/02/2010 1:15 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Hi,

Pretty confident you will find what your looking for here, if not, most of us will be willing to help

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

Posted : 19/02/2010 8:40 am