Notifications
Clear all

Very old guy who's always loved guitar music

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@68blues)
Topic starter

Hi guys, nice to be a part of the guitar forum community.
I have a Gibson Les Paul standard honeyburst and a sigma acoustic.
I am by no means a great guitarist but really enjoy what I can do.
Have a bit of a problem memorising tab, come to think of it got a problem memorising anything nowadays. I like blues and jazz and like the guitar tone of Snowy White and David Gilmour. Glad to be here✌️

Posted : 09/02/2015 6:12 pm
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Welcome.

I'm an old guy who has played music for a living all my life, and I have a hard time memorizing anything.

For me it's muscle memory. I play it with the music until I'm proficient with it, and then I start without it to see how far I can get. If I don't take the music away, I'll never memorize it.

Learning all your scales and chords helps a lot, since melodies are usually built on fragments of scales and chords, so your fingers get used to moving that way. That way when you get a new song, your fingers will say to themselves, "Hey, I recognize that run and know how to play it".

The most important advice I have is "Have Fun" - they don't call it PLAYING music for nothing.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 10/02/2015 3:18 pm
(@rob-kunkel)

Hi --

One old guy to another. You're my first post. Be gentle. I just poseted in the Meet and Greet.

I'm very new to electric (or any guitar). I'm a sax player who is tired of working to hard to make music. This first electric, a Peavy, is sort of a gift.

My real passion is to get a modern acoustic like a Cole Clark...like the one I saw in a music store. I'm in my honeymoon stage of learning but I'm learning this way as well as trying to do training. I play along with a wide variety of music on CDs. The same 10 artists, a particular song or two.

Also, without accompaniment, I go as long as I can playing stuff that sounds good. I keep doing it, over and over again, making it prettier each time.

Posted : 25/05/2015 7:01 pm