What's Happenin' Everybody?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey guys/girls.

31 y/o self-taught fella here. Been "playing" since I was about 19. I wouldn't call myself a particularly good player, nor particularly well-versed in theory, but I find it an entertaining and rewarding hobby.

I have a modest collection of equipment, consisting of a Gibson Explorer Voodoo, a Warmoth Stratocaster, a Squier Classic Vibe J-Bass, and an Epiphone DR-500. I have a Marshall Zakk Wylde mini-stack (yay apartment living!), a Fender Studio 85, and a variety of pedals (mostly Boss, but also an MXR, an EH, and a Morley)

I'm looking forward to browsing the forums, and hopefully learning many new things - Lord knows I have a LOT to learn...

Anyway, it's a pleasure to be a part of this forum. Hopefully I'll be able to add things here and there on the boards :)

Adam (Xplorervoodoo)

Tone is subjective.

Posted : 06/11/2011 5:48 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have the same bass. The rest of equipment is different... wait... I also have a MXR pedal.

If that is your goal, you will learn a lot here. I did it and keep doing.

Welcome to GN! :D

Posted : 06/11/2011 1:07 pm
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks! Already found it enjoyable just from browsing :)

Tone is subjective.

Posted : 06/11/2011 3:34 pm
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Welcome, XPV! Just caught your note on Devin Townsend in the "open tunings" board -- are you primarily an open-tuned player?

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

Posted : 06/11/2011 5:41 pm
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

No sir, but I enjoy a lot of open tuned songs. My personal "standard tuning" right now is actually 1/2 step down.

Tone is subjective.

Posted : 07/11/2011 1:43 am
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Just thought I'd give ya some shots to enjoy :)

First, ye olde Squier J-Bass (60's Vibe):

Next up, the trusty Epiphone DR-500:

Now, for my namesake, the Gibson Explorer Voodoo, plus some closeups of a couple of personal touches:

A set of black UFO knobs (metal, with black pearloid tops), over 500k pots (which I replaced myself... broke the old pot shafts trying other aftermarket knobs, because I'm a knob...)

A custom truss rod cover (ebony, inlaid with a material I forget, but it's RED!) to match the inlay on the 5th fret

And now, the piece de resistance: A completely custom Warmoth strat. All maple body (weighs a TON), maple neck with bloodwood (satine) fingerboard, celtic cross 12th fret inlay, David Gilmour EMG strat pickup set, plus all the standard touches - 6-screw strat trem, black tusq nut, planet waves locking self-trimming tuners... blah blah blah. I built it for my wife (still having trouble trying to get her to play it) for her birthday, just before we got married. That's her name inscribed on the neck plate.

Thank you and goodnight :)

Tone is subjective.

Posted : 10/01/2012 6:37 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Very nice indeed! I got my name inscribed on the plate of my Strat but it was engraved by my wife! :lol: (She worked at a jewelery store at the time) I really like the look of that Explorer. The red and black are a cool combo and I love the custom truss rod cover.

It reminds me of a song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9_jb-K_dR8

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 11/01/2012 12:05 pm
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Awesome song!

Yeah I originally got that explorer because of my admiration for James Hetfield. I wanted something personal to me, yet something that would also show the inspiration.

Same thing with the warmoth strat. I built it for her, but I definitely had David Gilmour in mind. It's weird, I'd rather get something "inspired by" rather than something "signature"

Tone is subjective.

Posted : 11/01/2012 1:14 pm