Clear all

1 Year Anniversary

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, it's been one year as of midnight tonight EST time that is. So I thought I'd reflect on what I've learned.

I bought a guitar in January last year because I've always wanted to play, and I had heard it was a pretty good stress reliever, it was a Stagg 3/4 size acoustic, which quickly changed to an Epiphone PRE-4, then when I kind of knew what I was doing and what sound I wanted I moved to a Washburn D10-SCE.

I never thought that I'd come so far in so little time, I practiced until my fingers literally bled. The I stumbled upon this site, and things just kind of took off from there, everyone here has been more than helpful in playing and understand the intricacies of the instrument. Never has anyone said "You suck, put it down and walk away" (even with my singing :lol: ) Not everyone may like what they hear, but at least they will tell you why, and what they think will make it better.

I've actually written an original piece of music, who would've thunk? Even collaborated on that with Nuno (Bass), Gerry (Lead) and Arjen (Mixing). Learned alot about recording in that time. I think that was the biggest step for me was writing, I learned more about music and how everything fits together in that time than any other, and due to that actually found Theory to be fun.

This year I want to work on being more creative in writing music and lyrics, so Sunday Songwriting Group will by my home away from home for a while. I also want to learn how to play the electric guitar, and use a pick to actually do something other than strum.

So I thought I'd go back and post one of the first videos I've done, this was with my Stagg and when I was using headphones to try and keep time with the music (couldn't do it on my own yet)-- http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn58/jhempel24/?action=view&current=19Somethin.flv

There was other things I posted after this one, but I think it shows the improvements in the guitar, and hopefully, in singing -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpn5t5QknAo

Thanks to everyone on this forum, and to Dave Hodge for setting up this site, it's better than a live instructor in my opinion!! Here's to a productive 2nd year!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 22/01/2009 5:10 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Here's to a productive 2nd year!!

Amen to that, Joe, and congrats on toughing out that first year. Looking forward to more of your songs in the SSG!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/01/2009 9:03 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Vic! Hope to have the time to dedicate to the SSG like I want to.

Posted : 22/01/2009 9:17 am
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yeah, Happy anniversary Joe :D

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 22/01/2009 9:21 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Congrats! :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 22/01/2009 2:59 pm
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

Nice!Happy Anniversary.
This is a great place to learn I too have learnd alot here.
Good times Good people GN!

Tim

Posted : 22/01/2009 3:43 pm
(@davidhodge)

Thanks to everyone on this forum, and to Dave Hodge for setting up this site, it's better than a live instructor in my opinion!! Here's to a productive 2nd year!!

While I'd love to take credit for it, Guitar Noise is the work of Paul Hackett, who created this website all the way back in 1995 or so and still owns and runs it today. He's the one that deals with the nuts and bolts of keeping things up and running, and hopefully running smoothly! :wink: I've just been here since November 1999 and am simply a volunteer like everyone else in the community.

And congratulations on a great first year, Joe! Hopefully we'll be hearing about you performing live in Year Two!

Peace

Posted : 22/01/2009 4:09 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your 1 yearaversery. You did a lot more in your 1st year than I did probably in my first three years. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 22/01/2009 4:34 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Good stuff, Joe!
Take a bow. You've really achieved a lot.
Congrats.
:)

Don

Posted : 22/01/2009 4:52 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone!
Hopefully we'll be hearing about you performing live in Year Two!

Oh my, the venue will be hard up to be booking me. :lol:

I've actually put up an ad on a Cincinnati music site just looking to play around with people occasionally, as I don't know anyone that I can play with locally, so we'll see where that goes.
While I'd love to take credit for it, Guitar Noise is the work of Paul Hackett, who created this website all the way back in 1995 or so and still owns and runs it today.

Well, thanks to Paul Hackett as well!!

Posted : 23/01/2009 3:46 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congratulations Joe! :D

And I am very glad to participate in that collaboration. It was very fun to me, and I also learned many things!

Posted : 23/01/2009 3:44 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Nuno, I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Hoping to do many more in the coming years

Posted : 23/01/2009 11:58 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

first, my thanks to Paul and David. what a great idea this wonderful site. thanks for your good maintenance and brilliance.

Joe. fantastic. I get off on your energy and your enthusiasm for the instrument.
I am reminded of moments from my early years of guitar. there must be some universal going on.
you have made good progress. the learning of an instrument I think stimulates creativity.
'cause it seems all the while I am playing a part of my mind is listening and getting ideas.
sounds like that is happening with you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 24/01/2009 12:14 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

the learning of an instrument I think stimulates creativity.
'cause it seems all the while I am playing a part of my mind is listening and getting ideas.
sounds like that is happening with you.

Yeah, I've never really considered myself all that creative, and I seem to be thinking in a different way after playing this pretty hard core for a year.

Thanks for all your encouragement as well, pushing me to get past some limits, and being very honest.

Posted : 24/01/2009 12:25 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Congrats on the one year! I think I just passed my two year anniversary as a member of this awsome forum ...... missed it ... ooops :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 24/01/2009 5:46 pm
Page 1 / 2