100 Members and growing

68 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
23.8 K Views
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Amazing to look back on this post.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 06/11/2007 6:22 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Amazing to look back on this post.

It is, isn't it! I'll quote you again here, Dennis.....

by corbind on Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:49 pm

I laughed at the title of the post knowing there are over 2,000 registered members. Then I looked at the date of the post and realize it was about a year ago. Imagine if it expanded by 2000 members in a year. Doing straight math you'd get 10,000 over 5 years. Yet I'd be confident in using an extra growth factor of about 12% compunded annually. So I'll make my prediction and sombody can dig it up in 4 years to say I'm wrong or right. My estimate is that there will be 11,790 registered members on the GN forums on September 24, 2007. Who is going to dig this one up then?

What you probably failed to take into account was word-of-mouth.....active members telling friends about this site. Even so, that was a pretty impressive guess - I for one wouldn't have thought it'd err so much on the low side!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/11/2007 9:23 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea Vic, thought I had a pretty good gestimate but came up short. Great this place has grown so much. Think about ten years from now!!! :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 07/11/2007 1:19 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just thought I'd dig this old post out....

We now have TWENTY THOUSAND members. Well actually, 20,001.....

That's a lot of guitarists. If we all played a D chord at the same time at maximum volume, d'you think we could actually move the Earth on its axis?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/08/2010 9:24 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I've read in many guitar forums yet I'd say GN has always been the most like home. And that is a great feeling. :D

Posted : 21/08/2010 2:32 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've read in many guitar forums yet I'd say GN has always been the most like home. And that is a great feeling. :D

GN was the second guitar site I found - about a week after I found the first, which was and still is basically a tab site. Apart from the occasional visit to one other site, I've never bothered with any others. Well over half of my Facebook contacts are GN members!

I think there were about two-and-a-half thousand members when I joined.....

Vic

Posted : 21/08/2010 1:31 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

+1 to that. I am taking yet another break from guitar, but still read GN posts at least every other day. There is so much going on at our house now, there are some days I don't even see my guitars. My wife is losing her job on Sept 15, so I have had to sell a lot of my gear to help pay down some medical bills I incurred this year.

Jim

Posted : 23/08/2010 1:38 pm
(@alangreen)

GN was the second guitar site I found - about a week after I found the first, which was and still is basically a tab site. Apart from the occasional visit to one other site, I've never bothered with any others. Well over half of my Facebook contacts are GN members!

I think there were about two-and-a-half thousand members when I joined.....

Vic

Likewise, GN was the second guitar site I found. The other one had descended into petty squabbling and name-calling, none of which had anything to do with the guitar. So, once I'd found this place I set up shop in the GN woodshed at the end of main street and frightened the children by talking about demisemiquavers and perfect cadences. It paid dividends; the guy who owns GN gave me his prettiest daughter as a concubine (actually, I'm making that bit up.) I never went back to the first site, although I do go talk classical guitar and flamenco at other places.

I recall there were less than 500 members when I joined; standout people were a guy called Ryan who was polite to everybody; Jazzarati (from Oz I believe) who disappeared just after getting the Jamey Andreas book; some guy called Nick who didn't run the place then; some guy called dhodge who had a day job in Chicago. Others came and went.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 23/08/2010 2:31 pm
Page 5 / 5