30 years and counting.

29 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone.

DB I play mostly open chords, no slide at all. I should add that to the list. Pretty much I'm strumming with a pic stuck to my elbow and lapstyle was the only way I could reach the strings. After 3 years (in Feb) I am starting to get some dynamics in my playing and the ability to pick a few individual strings. I like to throw in some HO/PO's ( more ons than offs) to add color and I'm pretty happy with that.
Sunday I will be leading worship at church and I am throwing in a couple of songs with a blues shuffle to them. That has taken me awhile to develope. Amazingly your shoulder lacks a lot of the dexterity that your elbow, wrist and fingers have. :lol:

I am not a rabid poster but I enjoy being here.

Thanks again.

Jack

Posted : 29/04/2011 4:22 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

It's already been said, but you are an inspiration Jack. Keep up the great work and please let us know how the Sunday worship service "gig" works out for you. :D

Jim

Posted : 30/04/2011 2:50 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Jack! :D

Posted : 30/04/2011 8:56 am
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

It's already been said, but you are an inspiration Jack. Keep up the great work and please let us know how the Sunday worship service "gig" works out for you. :D

Jim
KC
Sunday went well. All the usual band issues even in church.
The drummer was late and didn't bring cymbals so he played the djembe, which was fine. The room acoustics are poor and the drum overwhelms everything else IMO. I did "Thankful" by Caedmans Call for offering with me on vocal, guitar and harmonica, the drummer used the snare for a shuffle beat and the four others on the praise team added clapping and some backup vocals. That worked really well and we got raves on it after the service.
Even got requests for songs to do the next time we take over.
I can see why some people would rather play on their own, all the weight is on you but there are a lot less variables to deal with.

Jack

Posted : 02/05/2011 12:08 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Wow Jack! That sounds like it was great despite some things going awry. To me that shows real determination and musicianship. Congrats!

Jim

Posted : 05/05/2011 12:20 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Jack ... our drummer Tommy had his hand traumaticallly amputated ... reattached. He developed osteo in his middle finger and lost it. He had other issues. Not sure if you followed the saga on here or not. He was addicted to substances as well as being depressed. He is gone at the age of 33. I applaud you for your courage. Can you play the drums? :mrgreen:

You would know better than anyone .... you need a sense of humor. I am proud to share a forum with you sir!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 05/05/2011 12:39 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Congratulations, God bless, that's an awesome testimonial of success. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 05/05/2011 1:14 am
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Jack ... our drummer Tommy had his hand traumaticallly amputated ... reattached. He developed osteo in his middle finger and lost it. He had other issues. Not sure if you followed the saga on here or not. He was addicted to substances as well as being depressed. He is gone at the age of 33. I applaud you for your courage. Can you play the drums? :mrgreen:

You would know better than anyone .... you need a sense of humor. I am proud to share a forum with you sir!

I did keep track of what was happening with Tommy and was really sorry to hear how it ended. And I haven't ever tried to play the drums. Do you think I should add something new to my repertoire?

A sense of humor has always been part of me. Class clown and all. The only difference is that I have to be careful of what I say and when, some people just don't get it.

Posted : 05/05/2011 1:42 am
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Looks like I am dragging out all the dusty old threads. Yesterday was my 33rd anniversary and things just seemm to be getting better, for the most part. Does everything ever get better at the same time?
The wife and I left the church praise band just over a year ago and started our duo. We have been doing one service a month at a nearby truck stop....chapel and have a standing invite to a couple of churchs whenever we want to show up. Still playing on the streets when the weather is good.
We have enough invites that we have to keep a schedule to insure that we don't miss any of them. We have events scheduled into June now. We have to keep some open space for camping but it is nice to be wanted.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Jack

Posted : 29/04/2013 2:21 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great news!

Posted : 01/05/2013 10:28 am
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

I for one I'm very happy that you brought this thread back to life. I somehow missed it these last three years. Thanks again for sharing your inspirational story. Blessings to you for the next 33 years!

Posted : 01/05/2013 12:06 pm
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Guys. We are going to practice tonight with the folks from our former praise group. We will be playing with them Sunday then doing three songs as our duo to close out the service. Really looking forward to getting together even the practices were fun when we were playing together.

Jack

Posted : 01/05/2013 12:13 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I haven't been on much lately due to my own health issues and family life in general.

Jack, glad you brought this up again. Congratulations!!

There were several times when it seemed easier to just give up but that isn't how life should be. No one is guaranteed an easy time and we choose our own outcomes most of the time.

Much respect and admiration coming your direction.

Glad you are part of Guitar Noise.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 08/06/2013 7:01 pm
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Bish, great to see you around some more.

We just finished 3 nights of a revival. Sort of the old tent meeting flavor. There were other bands/performers each night so we set up our own sound each night. We don't normally use sound reinforcement so our system is pieced together from MF's Stupid Deal of the Day with a 70's Traynor powered mixer. I thought it sounded good and got some good comments on it.

It still surprises me the number of local people and even relatives that don't know that we perform and we live in a community of less than 500 people. Lots of comments on our playing and singing. We are starting to develop a following :o .

We will continue to see what comes next and want to thank you all again for your comments and suggestions.

Jack

Posted : 09/06/2013 7:16 pm
Page 2 / 2