Clear all

A one-on-one

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

My wife was remarking not too long ago that I never play for her. We often spend a Friday or Saturday night on our back deck with a fire and a few cold ones. That particular night I brought out my 12-string acoustic and noodled around a bit, but nothing special.

So, I've got it into my head that I would try a small outside "gig" just for her before the weather gets too cold. I've made up a mini-set of about a dozen songs. I picked them not because of their content, but I feel those are the ones I can do fairly well.

What is making me a little hesitant about this isn't my playing, but my singing. We live in a pretty quiet neighborhood and my vocal technique is pretty loud, down to my toes in fact. I plan on sneaking in a couple of "practices" beforehand where maybe I can craft a more discreet singing style. But I would really like to do this for her; and only her. I'm not interested in grabbing the attention of everyone else around us.

Anyone had experience or advice?

Posted : 13/09/2007 2:17 pm
(@poppaduck)
Eminent Member

I've played and sang on the back deck plenty of times. So what if the neighbors hear is my attitude
(and I know they've heard because my wife has mentioned occasionally ' so you were playing outside yesterday').

Go ahead and have a good time - sing for your wife and let the neighbors enjoy the free show if they hear.

(sorry if you were looking for a few vocal tips, it's not me - from the sounds of it, I sing like you).

-PD

Posted : 13/09/2007 5:54 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Pick up that guitar and sing away! By way of comparison, if you bought a motorcycle, would you ride it or leave it in the garage and not start it up for fear of disturbing the neighbors?

No matter how good or bad you sing...if you enjoy playing and singing songs in your backyard..why not enjoy life?
What could be better than sitting on your deck with your wife, relaxing to the autumn breezes, strumming your way into the evening? Go for it man..Howl at the moon

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 18/09/2007 9:05 pm
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Come to think of it, there's this real obnoxious guy around the corner who wants everyone to know he has a Harley. So he modified the exhaust to make it REAL loud!

So what am I worried about??? :D

Posted : 19/09/2007 3:26 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

threegtrz,

I resemble that remark. The first thing I did when I bought my Harley was to change the stock pipes and put drag pipes on it. There's no baffling or muffler so yea it's loud...it's like rock though if you think it's loud your to old.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 20/09/2007 2:07 pm