Clear all

A Sad Anniversary

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

30 years ago today - September 16th, 1977 - Marc Bolan was killed when the car he was a passenger in crashed.

RIP Marc - still missed.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/09/2007 8:59 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

What - nobody remembers Marc Bolan?

He was one of my music heroes - I got in trouble so many times at school for letting my hair grow like his. Add a pair of shades and I was Ian Hunter.....

I was 14 when Ride A White Swan hit the charts - I bought EVERY T.Rex single for the next three years or so. All classics - Hot Love, Get It On, Telegram Sam, Jeepster, Metal Guru.....T.Rex and Slade made being a teenager bearable. Who else were you going to listen to - Donny? David Cassidy? Bay City Rollers? They were great POP groups, just as POP was becoming a dirty word - but indirectly, they led (LOL) me to the harder rocking groups like Led Zep and Nazareth....

Bolan was'nt just a songwriter who explored psychedelic imagery, he was an excellent guitarist - if someone as musically savvy as Wes Inman can compare Bolan's vibrato to Kossoff's, you know he must have had something going for him....

At the time he died, Marc had been through a bit of a lull, musically speaking - but he was excited about new projects he was working on. The last time he was seen by a TV audience was on his own tea-time show - he introduced Bowie, who was going to play his new single, "Heroes" - Marc played lead. A couple of weeks later he'd gone.....but he left us some GREAT music, and he shouldn't be forgotten.

I won't forget him. Or those classic singles.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/09/2007 10:44 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yes Vic! And don't forget 'Cosmic Dancer', great song. It was included in the Billy Elliot soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUh_BMnzgHU

R.I.P.

Posted : 16/09/2007 11:00 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I know who he was .......

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 16/09/2007 11:10 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

1977 was almost as bad as 1970 (Brian, Janis, Jim, Jimi) - apart from Marc, there was the Lynyrd Skynyrd planecrash - there was a band at their peak - and Elvis.

But Marc Bolan had a HUGE impact on my life - for a while there, between 70 and 73 or so, T Rex were the be-all and end-all of my existence - I was an absolute fanatic. Although the first band I loved was the Beatles, I was only 6 years old when Beatlemania struck - I was older when T.Rexmania hit. It was almost like Beatlemania for a while - even Ringo admitted that. He directed a film about Marc, and last night I was watching a documentary that showed a clip of Marc playing lead and singing, Elton John on piano, and Ringo playing drums.

T Rex were a great band - they were my teenage heroes, they weren't my first love, but for a while there, back in the 70's, they were right up there with the Beatles for me.....

Vic

Posted : 16/09/2007 11:28 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

1977 was almost as bad as 1970 (Brian, Janis, Jim, Jimi) - apart from Marc, there was the Lynyrd Skynyrd planecrash - there was a band at their peak - and Elvis.
Ok, it made me remember this song. The band is "Barón Rojo", Spanish heavy-rock, early 80's. The song is called Concierto para ellos (Concert for them).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poHyTr5Rck0

This is part of the chorus:

En cada concierto de Rock & Roll,
las campanas doblan por Bon Scott,
por Janis, Lennon, Allman, Hendrix,
Bolan, Bonhan, Brian y Moon.

In every Rock & Roll concert,
the bells tolls for Bon Scott,
for Janis, Lennon, Allman, Hendrix,
Bolan, Bonhan, Brian and Moon.

Posted : 16/09/2007 11:51 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I know who Marc Bolan was, too. There've been a lot of folks in the music business who went out "before their time." Bottom line is, none of us know when our time'll be up.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 17/09/2007 12:53 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

My first outdoor stadium concert. i was in jr. highschool.
it was 3 dog night, the flying burrito bros. and the main attraction...T-Rex.
i'll never forget it as long as i live.
R.I.P. MB

#4491....

Posted : 17/09/2007 3:51 am
(@glitterknickers)

found some info online about the bolan anniversary thought you might like

Bolan's Birthday Boogie at the Café de Paris on 30th September (Marc's 60th birthday) – featuring a soundscape of Marc's

greatest hits and most evocative tunes, reinvented by an astonishingly broad range of wonderful, flamboyant and often

challenging artists brought to life through dance, poetry, song, performance and the bizarre.

There will be two special releases on the Edsel label:

INTERSTELLAR SOUL [3 CD]

A deluxe book-style 3 CD package, which features many exclusive tracks, including outtakes, home demos, radio jingles,

adverts and interviews. Released 15th October

LIVE 1977 + IN CONVERSATION [2 CD]

A 2 CD set containing performances from two fantastic shows recorded during T. Rex's very last tour in 1977 (with The

Damned on the encore), and a previously unreleased half hour interview conducted by Steve Wright with Marc and Gloria Jones

on Reading's Radio 210, featuring several acoustic performances unheard since the original broadcast. Released 1st October

THREE VINYL 7” SINGLES

Collector's vinyl re-issues of three of Marc's biggest hits, with a previously unavailable track on each

b-side, issued on consecutive Mondays.

17th September: Metal Guru / The Slider [acoustic demo]

24th September: Children Of The Revolution / The Leopards [electric demo]

1st October: 20th Century Boy / Teenager In Love [Marc & Gloria acoustic duet]

Posted : 26/09/2007 1:37 pm