Clear all

A small memorial for someone you have never heard of

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Last Sunday the music world lost a fabulous musician. Randall Scott (Sarah's step-father) passed away last Sunday afternoon from a heart attack. He was a jack of all trades and had several careers throughout his life including being a maintenance man, a janitor, a restrauntier, an entrepreneur, and many others. First and foremost he was a musician. He directed band at SFA, played the clarinet as his main instrument, and had a variety of other instruments that he could play at varying levels including guitar, keyboard, and many many others. He loved Pete Fountain (Jazz clarinetist), Louie Armstrong, and many other artists. He is the only person I have met who ever attempted Last Dance with Mary Jane on the clarinet. While working as a janitor for a school here in east Texas he would walk around the grounds playing a recorder for the children. The only instrument that ever seemed to confound the man was the bagpipes (much to the relief of his family).

I wish I had gotten to know Randall better, and I wish his name were mentioned here under better circumstances. He had many friends who will miss him dearly. Although Sarah, her two brothers, and her sister were his step children, he always referred to them as his 'kids' (which means he ended up with 6 in all...he was a brave man). He actually ended up having a more profound influence on Sarah's musical tastes than anyone else in her life. He introduced all of his kids to Rock music, Jazz, Blues, Classical music, and a wide variety of in between styles and fashions.

I wish I had the words for this, but I am not able to articulate myself well in these situations. All I can really say is that the world of music has, in some small way, lost something that can never return. To me it already feels a bit sadder.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 17/02/2007 4:01 pm
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

My sympathies for your loss. A part of him will live on in those whom he inspired.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

Posted : 17/02/2007 5:03 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Sounds like he was a wonderful man who really made an impact
on those around him.

My sympathy goes out to you,

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 17/02/2007 5:24 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

From the way you speak of him, sounds like he was a really nice bloke, one of those rare people who spread a little sunshine around just because he could.....

My sympathies for your loss, seems like the world could do with a few more like him....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 17/02/2007 10:28 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Thanks for remembering him to us man.

Also, dont worry about not having the words - these are good words you wrote for a guy guy.

I'm glad he was able to pass some things on to the next generation; that's the way it's supposed to be but it doesn't always happen. I'm glad for his kids...but still sad for the loss.

Take care, and once again. thanks for telling us.

Regards.

Posted : 17/02/2007 11:50 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

lets hope he ends up with all the great musicians in the great beyond...sympathies from here ..smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 18/02/2007 7:40 am
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Thanks for sharing your loss with us. Beautiful words for an obvioulsy beautiful man. Although we can't all be there for your family, we can surely keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Denny

Posted : 18/02/2007 3:31 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family ..

It is always the way isn't it , we wish we would have got to known someone after they leave this world and find eternal life ..

Thank you for posting such a lovely post ..

"I wish I had the words for this, but I am not able to articulate myself well in these situations."

I think you said it lovely

take care

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 19/02/2007 9:52 am
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Sarah and I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and support. It's sad that it takes this, but Sarah's family were all together, and her brother was in from the Navy. He has been a friend of mine for many years. Saturday a few of us (Sarah, me, her brother Josh, and a few friends) got together to do a little jam in remembrance. It was a nice time, and I think he really would have appreciated what was going on. Sarah seems to be doing much better since our little memorial, and Josh said it did him a lot of good. We also got to meet Josh's new wife, who is absolutely wonderful and (much to our surprise) pregnant.

May the circle be unbroken.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 19/02/2007 11:33 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

My sympathies for your loss.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 19/02/2007 11:40 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like he will leave a great legacy behind.I hope I can do the same someday (not to soon). When I was a kid in my early teens we knew this old guy that went by the name of Skeeter. He was about 65 or so and played traditional country music. The thing he was best remembered for was organizing youngsters 12-18 years old into bands and teaching us the ins and outs of playing together, being professional on stage, and how to sound half way descent and all the little things youngsters need to know about showmanship.He passed away about 1980 and I think about every musician from NW Indiana was at his funeral and even more at his benefit 8) So I think Skeeter and Randall will live on for a long time :D ---ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 20/02/2007 2:23 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

My sympathies to you and Sarah. Thank you for sharing that beautiful testament to the man's life.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 20/02/2007 2:31 am