Clear all

Advice... please?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Currently, I'm attempting to find gigs for my band. I would be grateful if you could give me some  general advice on how to go about this.
 We're all 16, which makes it a little difficult.

Your advice please! Thankyou

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

Posted : 12/04/2004 6:19 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Petrix;

This has been discussed in a few threads below, and in the articles referenced in the "Reference" post above.

To summarize:
- Charity events
- School Talent Shows or Teen Centers
- Any "Battle of the Bands"
- Restaurants on Sunday afternoon
- Outdoor festivals during the day
- Your own backyard

Anyplace where the serving of alcohol is reasonably separated from the stage, during non-peak hours.

You should get one of your parents to chaperone you, as a minor can't sign a contract.  This will help win over those who hide behind the "you're not old enough" bluff.  What town are you in, maybe one of the GN readers can help.

Good Luck!

-Laz

Posted : 12/04/2004 10:03 pm
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Check out the article that was just written, it's a great source of practical info.

M

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

Posted : 13/04/2004 1:54 am
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thankyou, I'm in Brighton by the way. I don't know whether anyone else is?

Thanks

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

Posted : 16/04/2004 11:26 am
(@shinypinkguitar)
Eminent Member

You're in Brighton, UK?  I'm in Southampton, UK!

I know of lots of young bands that manage to get gigs (in fact, I'm 24 and the number of bands with teenagers in is starting to make me feel old  ;)) so you shouldn't have too much of a problem.  
Do you have any contacts at all?  What sort of music do you play?  The singer/lead guitarist in my band has a lot of experience, I'll have a chat with him, he might know where you should start (his experience is mainly in the punk/rock scene).

x x

http://www.chinmusicrocks.co.uk

Posted : 17/04/2004 1:54 pm