Clear all

And the first review is in! :)

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Phew, was pretty nervous about it but it went okay. 8)

Google translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2F3voor12.vpro.nl%2Fartikelen%2Fartikel%2F43601075

Slightly less worse translation by yours truly:
Arjen Schippers, aka Sleutelbos is a boy with many talents, which he combines on his debut album Inside-Outsider. He sings, plays violin and piano, and also painted the album cover. To show all of his ideas Schippers needed two discs with a total of 90 minutes of music.

On his debut Keyring provides some background info to the editors of 3VOOR12/Groningen and lyrics. In it he indicates that it took long before the concept album Inside-Outsider really was delivered. To pass the time Schippers created another album, called Re-Presenting MC Beaver.

Heavy drums as heartbeats, exciting piano pieces and the frequent use of string on Inside-Outsider create an depressive atmosphere.Dark themes as an unhappy childhood, psychosis and suicidal thoughts contribute to this. The songs all feel as a story, mainly because the verses are not interrupted by a chorus. On this album, practically all of Schippers talents come together, because he has been single-handedly responsible for playing all the instruments and writing the lyrics.

Both in appearance and style the two discs differ greatly from each other. On 'Re-Presenting MC Beaver' Sleutelbos lets hear that he can rock out, and we hear a lot of electronic devices, including a voice changer. The lyrics is not always well understood and, moreover, the thin voice gets boring after a while. This album had been stronger if there had either been more instrumental pieces or if there were more variety in the vocal range. The question arises whether it is wise to release two albums simultaneously. Inside-Outsider is in itself strong enough to debut. 'Re-Presenting MC Beaver' could have used some extra polishing.

The first 500 copies of both albums will be numbered and signed. Because of the artwork by design studio Het Dok 'Inside Outsider' looks very professional. The covers of Re-Presenting MC Beaver (limited edition of 500 copies) Schippers has personally hand-painted with a thick red, black and white paint. Curious about the debut of SLeutelbos? Use the links in this article, you can hear some samples of his music and of course place an order.

Posted : 13/06/2010 2:00 pm
(@alangreen)

Nice one - the precedent for releasing two albums at the same time of course is Guns n Roses with the Use Your Illusion I and II release - well done mate.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 13/06/2010 6:51 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thin voice? I've always thought your voice was pretty strong, and I bet I've heard more of your songs than the reviewer - in fact, I bet a lot of us at GN have, thanks to your Soundclick page!

Congrats on getting the albums out, hope they sell well. I'm THRILLED for you, mate!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/06/2010 9:40 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks for the update and many congrats on the new album!

Posted : 14/06/2010 9:18 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am very happy for you. well done.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 14/06/2010 10:48 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go Arjen!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 14/06/2010 1:38 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That review doesn't sound bad at all. Way to go. Review writing columnists can be so weird sometimes.

Just curious. Did "Solder Of Fortune" ever make it on your albums? That's always been my favorite one for me that you've done.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 14/06/2010 4:27 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Congrats! Always knew that you would takeover the music world! On behalf of all of us GN'ers that helped you along on your journey..."Where's my autographed copy of the CDs?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I am very happy for you! Now we can all say..."I knew him when..." (sort of)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 14/06/2010 9:04 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Well done sir! Congrats on the review!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 18/06/2010 8:40 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks folks!

Roy: nope, not really. I'm considering making a little compilation with some tracks of those old days next rainy sunday afternoon, just to make sure I dont lose them. If you want you can drop me a PM and I'll make sure to send you a link if it's done.

Posted : 18/06/2010 11:54 am