Clear all

Another addition to Midwest Music Academy

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'm really pleased to announce we're adding A. Paul Johnson to our staff.

Mr. Johnson has authored four symphonies, a dozen concerti, and a few operas; as a composer, he has twice been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize in music. His symphonic works have been performed by the Warsaw National Philharmonic, the Prague Symphony Orchestra, the Indianapolis Philharmonic, and many other orchestras throughout the world. His works have been recorded on 16 commercial CDs (so far!).

He has been awarded many fellowships and artist-in-residence grants including those of the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Institute for Musical Theater at the Kennedy Center, and the Florida Arts Council.

As a guest conductor, he has led symphonic ensembles throughout the US, Europe, South America, and Australia. As a performer, Mr. Johnson is a concert level pianist (who also plays clarinet for fun). In addition to his performing, composition, and conducting work, he works as a musical theater director throughout the US; he is just wrapping up a production of "Into the Woods".

Mr. Johnson will be available for lessons in piano, musical theater vocal techniques, music theory, composition, and orchestration. He'll be joining us beginning Saturday, April 28th.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 05/04/2012 6:08 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Tom, one of these days I am going to ask for a sabbatical period at the uni and I'll sign up in your music academy for a course or simply I'll be in the door listening.

Congratulations!

Posted : 05/04/2012 8:53 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nuno, you're welcome to drop by anytime :)

When I started this place, I told my staff that my goal was simple: within 15 years, people would think of us as the "Juilliard of Joliet" (Joliet is the nearest 'big city' to Plainfield). It had a nice ring to it, and it gave people a picture of what I want to do that they could get behind.

Most people then thought I was just being funny. But they've come around. Every new hire makes us stronger in what we offer - which makes me more credible in attracting still more great talent. My deadline is now about 11 years and 4 months away, and I think we're on track.

The real secret to our success isn't a secret: the quality of our instruction will not be compromised. I'd rather turn away prospective students than offer mediocre instruction if I can't give them a GREAT teacher. As a result, our students succeed... which brings us more students. Meanwhile, most of our competitors are suffering (one is closing next week, after 47 years in business).

There are still lots of challenges to solve, the biggest right now being space. We've expanded twice in our first 3+ years, and I'd like to double our size again in the next 18 months.

But it's all tremendous fun, and very rewarding. When Paul (the newest hire) was out here interviewing, he said to me "man, you have a great vibe here!". And we do :)

One more thing: I'm thinking of hosting a jam at the school for GN members in the area in the next few months. Anybody interested?

Posted : 07/04/2012 12:47 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thank you :)

I was visiting you website the other day. The staff is awesome. It helps to achieve better results with the students. And the successes bring more students. We are promoting a new master degree and doctorate. I understand what you say. We are applying the same philosophy. It is the way.

One of these years I am going to go to USA for jamming (or at least drinking a tea or coffee) with all of you.

Posted : 08/04/2012 4:18 pm
(@alangreen)

Nice one Tom. If you can attract staff of that quality then you really must be a good proposition. Exactly how far off is it from being "Tom's Conservatory"?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 08/04/2012 4:59 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's definitely a team effort, Alan.

My role in the thing (besides teaching my own students) is basically cheerleading - which is easy to do, given the staff I've got and the fun we have here! I also make sure the business management stuff like accounting and taxes and carpet cleaning and what-not get done. But as we've grown I've been able to add non-teaching staff to help with scheduling and maintenance and stuff.

One of my goals for this year is to partially replace myself as a teacher, so I can spend more time on the strategic stuff we'll need to do to get to the next level. Paul may be a partial solution to that with some of my composition and theory students, but I have his starting lineup already 100% full with waiting students; he's going to add additional teaching days once he's got his feet wet.

I'm still looking for a great guitar teacher to take over roughly 30-35 of my current guitar students, but I haven't found the right one yet. My other guitar teacher is great, but doesn't have enough time to add given his other teaching and performing commitments.

So if any GNers think they'd be a good fit, drop me a line!

Posted : 08/04/2012 7:08 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Alan, I re-read your post, and maybe I mis-interpreted. If you were asking if we're headed towards being a degree-granting place, that's on the very long-term wish list, but we're quite a way off.

But from day 1, I've done some things with that in mind. Even before day 1, I was asking myself: What does a good conservatory need? Stuff like... a library!

So we've got one for teachers to use. It's still small, maybe 100 volumes - my college theory/harmony/orchestration textbooks, and others I've acquired over the years. About 15 fake books in various styles, comprising a few thousand standard tunes. I try to add to it whenever I can, with stuff like standard music dictionaries, and this year I started adding scores - we've got all the Beethoven symphonies, the Bach Passions, and a few others so far. (This is in addition to our 'bookstore', which stocks several hundred method books for all instruments, general theory books, standard studies like Hanon and Czerny for piano, Arban's for brass, etc and stuff like manuscript books)

I've made sure all studios are outfitted right: every studio has a mirror, so students can see what they're doing. Every one has a whiteboard for teachers to use. Every one has sound equipment for playing CDs, or patching MP3 players into amps. As of last Friday, every one now has a piano (they're expensive, so I started with just enough for the 'piano studios').

There's a lot of big gear a conservatory needs. Last year we acquired a marimba; I'm on the lookout for a reasonable set of tympani, and if I find them I'll snap 'em up if I can. A good concert grand (Steiway? Boesendorfer?) will happen at some point.

Other stuff, like a listening lab and formal class space for larger lectures, is going to have to wait until we've grown more. But they're on the list, along with a public performance space - right now we rent a local church for that.

Money's an issue for a lot of the things I'd like to have. I try really hard to maintain a balance between a) making money - we've been 'profitable' from our second month, and b) giving back. We donate lessons and gift certificates to a ton of local organizations, from the Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts to the local libraries and schools. I also provide as much as we can to our students - we charge no recital fees, even though we spend thousands of dollars on space rental, accompanists, refreshments, and videotaping (each performer gets a DVD of the event); we also have frequent free events for the students like jam sessions, Christmas caroling parties, etc. and offer an annual scholarship competition. I believe you do well by doing good, and I don't need to get rich - I'm incredibly blessed to do what I do for a living.

I take a salary that's not very big (I've got more students than any other teacher, but I'm about fifth place in payroll). Pretty much every dime of profit that's left after paying the taxes gets plowed back into the school. I figure it's a good deal; if I don't have it in cash, I can't spend it on foolish things, but if I really need it... well, I own the school lock-stock-and-barrel (we have no debt) so if disaster struck I could sell stuff. Although it's pretty scary at times just how much money is tied up in the place.

So yeah, ultimately that's where I want to be. And we'll get there :)

Posted : 08/04/2012 8:43 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Your whole vision sounds really nice. I'm sure people would love to work in that situation, and the evidence is this very announcement. It beats working for companies with a 5-year exit strategy or have already gone public. I really enjoy reading your updates. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 09/04/2012 3:36 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Roy, that's what I shoot for - a great place to learn, and a great place to work.

Paul started yesterday, arriving at about 8:30 to get settled, and teaching from 9 to 5. This morning I got an e-mail from him... he said he went on and on at dinner with his wife about how much fun he had teaching, and he closed with: "Thanks for having one of the nicest studios I have taught at - ever!"

In his career, he's had teaching gigs at conservatories, colleges, community colleges, arts magnet schools, and other venues, and has even helped design a college music department from scratch. So getting that e-mail really made my day!

Posted : 29/04/2012 3:25 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Sounds like you have built something to be truly proud of!!!!! That must feel great!

As I fear flying, I will probably never visit the US, but if I do, I will make it a priority to book a lesson at your school!!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 29/04/2012 5:07 pm