Another Month, Another Surgery

25 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

ray,

Good luck with the ears.it must sux..but you always got the hog to ride!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 20/09/2007 1:51 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear about all that stuff. I hope your feeling better soon!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 20/09/2007 2:13 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

That's a bummer man. Especialy for a guitarist. I'd say this...people have overcome worse issues. Don't let this defeat you. Try herbal medicines...(fill in your own chioce of alternative medicines here). But don't let it get you down! Snap into a Slim Jim..."You can do it"!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 20/09/2007 2:20 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, in a way I'm rather fortunate. I'm the middle of 3 generations of this problem. My mother had it too, but the ear-drum got hosed long before the technology came around. She could not hear, so they tied her to a tree as a little girl when she played outside. She's been doing well with hearing aides since.

Myself, I was lucky enough that my parents found out about a College experimenting with the procedure in Vermont a few hours from where we lived. I had 3 (at least) in the left ear (tomorrow will be #5 on the left) and 2 in the right ear by the time I was like 6-7 years old or something. I was deaf as a door-knob before that. Had to do a couple of years of speech therapy after I could hear.

My son had each ear twice and they are great shape still 10+ years later.

Oh well, I'm now looking forward to it. Migraines have triggered again and my head is in a medically enhanced fuzz right now. I'm starting to feel like the main character in Franz Kafka's 'The Metamorphisis'. Hopefully, knock-on-wood, this will all be better by this time tomorrow.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/09/2007 9:02 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Update time. Had the procedure this morning. Went very well. The world is again a LOUD place. Whew!

Had to adjust the knobs on the amp. Hearing things a lot differently. This one's supposed to last two years. I'll take it. Oh, and feeling better than I have in a month.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/09/2007 8:40 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Great news, Roy! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 22/09/2007 1:17 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Thats great news :D I hope things will start looking up for you now.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 22/09/2007 2:19 am
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Rock on, Roy!
Fantastic news.
:)

Don

Posted : 22/09/2007 2:24 am
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Good to hear you're feeling better, Roy :)

On the downside, you might have to work a bit harder with your playing, now that you're hearing what you're really playing again! ;)

Just kidding mate :mrgreen:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 22/09/2007 5:57 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just worked my way through this post.....

Man, I couldn't even begin to imagine what it'd be like to lose my hearing - seriously, I'd rather go blind. I'd much prefer to be in the dark but still be able to hear and make music....

Roy, glad this worked out for you.....leave the headphones off in future though, if you use them. Pete Townshend blames his hearing loss on loud studio headphones - not the fact that the Who played so loud live that people's ears were ringing for days after they'd gone to a concert.

Play loud - but don't get too near the speakers!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/09/2007 10:40 pm
Page 2 / 2