attention any north west based guitar player or singer

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hello everybody :D

I know that there are a few guitarists from the north west on here, so i thought i would cast a desperate line into the waters to see what might come back :-)

The band I am in is going through a bit of a transitional period. We are losing our keyboard player/singer in March as he is moving away. We have recruited an exellent vocalist, and also a guitar player to replace the keyboard/singer - (so there are now two guitars, bass, drums, and vocals).

The problem is however, that we cannot rely on our new guitar player - and i dont mean that in a bad way - he is a great guy, but he has work commitments which may (and will) arise at short notice i.e within one or two weeks of a booked gig, leaving us with no option but to cancel at short notice which we are desperate to avoid.

Our second major issue is that our singer is in the same situation :oops:

To cut a long story short, we desperately need a guitar player, and/or singer who would like to act as a stand in for us for every now and then (once every couple of months probably).

We have tried to find people locally but things have been hard work as the people we have found have said things like
"im not keen on that song, so i wont play it", or "why dont we learn all these songs i already know" etc.

In reality we need somebody who will just accept the set list we give them, and learn the songs so when they stand in for us it will be a simple and straightforward "swap".

If anybody is interested, or knows somebody who might be interested in travelling to the Rossendale Valley for periodic gigs, as a singer or guitarist then please let me know and i will PM you my phone number.

We will not require large time demands on you like loads of rehearsal time etc except for once a week for the first month while we make sure that we are upto speed on the set list - but we are only 8 weeks away from needing somebody who is ready to step in :oops:

Our set list comprises of the following type of music

Rock N Roll classics like "Johnny b goode"
Punk classics like "Ever fallen in Love" or "this charming man"
Modern rock like "Sex on fire" "Dakota" "Mr brightside"
Dancefloor fillers like "Saw her standing there" "Crocodile rock"

If you wonder about our age etc, im am the youngest at 32, the rest are aged mid to late 40's, and they are very friendly guys :-)

Anyway, I hope somebody knows somebody who would like to gig with us - thanks for reading this far and have a great new year.

AL

"

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 30/12/2011 5:21 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Al, I'm in the neighbourhood - pretty good on the rock'n'roll, the punk classics and the dancefloor fillers.. very definitely coming up short on the modern stuff, though. Major problem - I have no transport. 2nd major problem - not much in the way of gear. Currently using a Squier Tele and the cheapest, crappiest amp in the whole history of amplification...it cost £10 from a junk shop!

On the up-side, I have some money winging its way in about Jan 16th - I'll definitely be buying a new amp. Can do lead vocals or harmony vocals....

I'll PM you with my phone number....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 31/12/2011 12:59 am
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Would love to - but I'm nowhere near up to standard, just wanted to say good luck :-)

Posted : 31/12/2011 10:34 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well then I'll wish you luck as well since I am nowhere near your hemisphere. :lol: Seriously, hope things work out for you.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 31/12/2011 12:38 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys - just got a PM from vic, so you never know what might happen there. :D

Hope you all had a good christmas

Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 01/01/2012 4:18 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hope you did too Al. If you get together with Vic there needs to be photos on here, you do understand that? :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 01/01/2012 4:20 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

well the wheels are falling off well and truely now :oops:

Can i extend my original thread to also ask for a singer??

Our new one has left before he has started, so we are staring at a diary full of booked gigs, but no band :cry:

Unfortunately the old day job commitments have changed for him and it seems it is now impossible for him to get to practices or guarentee weekend evenings off.

Its a shame, but im sure we will sort it out in the 6 weeks we have left :lol: :lol:

Posted : 15/01/2012 5:36 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear Al, so do you still need a guitar player and singer? I know how that goes been there done that. I'm crossing my fingers now, that we have everyone on board that we can stay together long enough to get a gig. We are looking at around March to be ready. We probably have enough songs now but there are several new ones we still need to put the finishing touches on especially with the harmonies.

I hope your search goes well.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 16/01/2012 12:38 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hello cnev, Not sure how I missed your reply on here, sorry about not responding.

Things have taken a very unexpected and convenient turn lately. Actually, its flipping unbelievable :D

The pub we practice at, on our practice night, has a woman and a bloke who serve behind the bar. What they never ever said to us, was that she was a really good singer, and he wasn't a bad guitarist.

I'm not kidding, but it really was that lucky. I will post some recordings soon, but she has one heck of a voice, and likes our tunes and knows how we play them because she has watched us practice so many times. Things are going really well now and we have made a lot of progress in rehearsal.

We have our first gig booked for the 10th march and then lots after that.

I am not sure how we will be perceived as we are changing from having a keyboard to being all guitar with a female vocal, but our set list is the same, although we have rocked a lot of our songs up, so I'm quietly optimistic!

Posted : 13/02/2012 8:30 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sounds good it's funny how things can change so quickly both ways. I'm hoping to be out there very shortly myself, we are very close.

Good luck hope it all works out.

Posted : 13/02/2012 11:24 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What a great save! I hope that situation works out well. Is it tough to pluck two bartenders from the same place on the businest nights? I would think that the bar owner would be needing their services the same time that you do.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 15/02/2012 10:56 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Cnev, glad to hear things are moving for you guys. Any idea of when you might be gig ready?

Roy, I agree, but luckily for us these are only part time staff who serve on a weds night which is when we practice. They never work Saturday's so we should be fine :D

Posted : 15/02/2012 4:17 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Al we have enough songs just need to get them all tight. We've had a bit of scheduling issues this past month that have slowed us down a bit. I'm getting a bit anxious and not sure how hard to push..(not that I'm perfect) but someone has to take control.

First the guitar player needed some time cuz he had a gig with his other band then the singer was off for a couple weeks because of comittments.

I understand all this and realize this is still a hobby and we all have alot of stuff going on but if we want it to work we need to pick it up a notch.

We'll see I'm not sure how to handle that.

We now also have a kind of side project going on. It's basically the whole band with another guitar player. We've only gotten together once and will again tomorrow. The idea was this other guitar player would be able to fill in for the other guy since he was already in a couple other bands. He'd a good player but doesn't know but maybe 10 or so songs so we will have another learning curve to deal with in order for us to get out there.

I'm just afraid that we will lose momentum and then we will lose our original guitar player he's not the kind that wants to sit around and play in the basement and I'm getting to that point to.

Posted : 15/02/2012 6:01 pm