Clear all

Back from Nashville after a week with Chet

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Just thought I would post that I just got back last week from Nashville after attending the 4 day "Chet Atkins Appreciation Society." Needless to say, I will be going again next year. This is a non-profit group and remembers what Chet did for guitar music (Chet passed away 10 years ago). This was the 27th convention.

This is a huge convention (probably 1,200 people), with workshops and concerts all day long in different hotel rooms at the Sheraton Music Hotel just outside of Nashville (like from 9am till about 11pm each day, except the opening day which started at 1pm).

Lots of flavors of music and instruments here (electric, acoustic, nylon, classical, etc.) The president of Gretsh Guitars was there, and they had a drawing for a free new Electric (probably $3,000 value) and a guy 5 feet from me won it (so close).

Got to hear and talk to Tommy Emmanuel - I suspect most here know of him. Also, Doyle Dykes, and ton of other well known players. One of the treats was listening to Nokie Edwards (Ventura guitarist) play with Tommy Emmanuel and Thom Bresh. Just a fun weekend, and learned a bunch. There were more professionals on stage than I can count. Workshops were great (even had one on setting up a portable sound system for us one man bands and singers).

Cost was right - only $150 bucks for all 4 days, and you can bring your spouse and a kid for no additional charge (not enough kids there, so they trying to encourage more to come and learn).

Just a highly recommended event - I'll be there next year. Mark your calendar, next one is July 11, 2012 I believe.

Posted : 26/07/2011 4:29 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sounds like fun and that was a good price.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 26/07/2011 5:43 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Was an abolute blast for sure.

Posted : 26/07/2011 5:57 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Hope you enjoyed our fair city. Everyone is welcome to come spend tourist dollars and then have a safe trip home. :D

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 26/07/2011 10:54 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Totally awesome

Posted : 26/07/2011 10:58 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Was just a terrific trip. Also as a side note, the hotel sold Starbucks for only a buck a cup (about 16 oz cup), so for us coffee drinkers that was a nice perk (even though I don't like coffee that stron).....:)
Hope you enjoyed our fair city. Everyone is welcome to come spend tourist dollars and then have a safe trip home. :D

Posted : 27/07/2011 10:41 am