Clear all

Back From The Beach

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, I've been doing my part to keep things going quietly and smoothly here, by taking off for North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina with the family for two weeks. Last chance to have everyone together before our boy's got to hop on a plane back to New York. (He's leaving early tomorrow morning.)

As for the mountain of E-mail, it's not as big as it might be, since the power blipped off sometime shortly after I left, my mailbox filled up, and my mail's all bounced for the past week. I'm not through it, but getting it whittled down. Haven't checked on the G spot yet, though. Don't get much there. (I speak, of course, of Gmail, but you all knew that, I'm sure.) Hoped we'd be able to get on a newtwork at the beach, (think I'll leave that spelling, I like it), but no joy without making a pilgrimage to an "Internet cafe" or some such. Bummer. The "kids" have their own interests that are somewhat divergent from mine, and when I was not reading through all 7 of the Harry Potter books (which I quite enjoyed), I was bored out of my skull while they mostly played race car video games. I couldn't watch TV because they were occupying (but not using) the lone bedroom with the TV in the back, I couldn't practice my lap steel guitar because Mrs. R was usually resting up not feeling well, the kids were in the front with the video games, and I'm really not much into going out on the beach.

I did smoke my pipes some, and played with my daughter's tortoise. He was a joy, and on the first day down there I wish I could've gotten a picture of him standing on tiptoe with his forefeet on the ledge of the low window stretching his neck and peering over looking down at the beach, neighboring buildings and street. He was taking in the whole scene with great excitement, just like a little kid. He spent a lot of time looking up at birds, airplanes and clouds, too, and was mesmerized by the swinging blinds animated by the breeze leaking through the windows, that would beat against him as he walked along the baseboards beneath the windows. He spent lots of time under there. He got hold of a pellet of something that we got out of his mouth before he swallowed it, but it made him foam at the mouth, and he was mildly sick for days. I think it was a bit of ant bait. Worried me sick, but there was nothing to be done about it but encourage him to eat and drink and wait on him to get over it, and he did. Friday I got a rare opportunity to play, and he'd tucked himself into a corner to sleep off a belly full of fruit. I started playing blues, which he's not used to hearing, and he turned around to listen. Came out to investigate and then discovered my guitar case. Started fighting the "tortoise" reflected in the shiny chrome latch, and I had to move the guitar case, leaving him looking silly by himself in the middle of the floor. I was sitting with my feet together at the heels, making sort of a V, and he's used to sleeping in a closet between shoes arranged that way; he walked over and got between my feet. I'd been playing and singing Howling Wolf's "Little Red Rooster," which I'm sure everyone's heard, it's an old standard, and Bowser seemed to enjoy it. So I sang him his own version of the song:

Got a red footed tortoise,
Likes to crawl and explore all day.

Got a little red foot tortoise,
Likes to crawl and explore all day.

He wants to open a can of whoopass
On any other tortoise gets in his way.

(Bit of playing)

Well, the crickets start chirping,
And the wind begins to howl.

Well, the crickets all start chirping,
And the wind begins to howl.

You better watch out, you dust bunny people,
Little Red Foot Tortoise is on the prowl.

He enjoyed it, applauded it appreciatively with his "happy arms," crawled out from between my feet and went back on the prowl, investigating the lap steel case again, then went back over to a pile of pillows Jane had arranged under the couch for him, burrowed under them and took a nap. :D

We loaded up and came back Saturday night, leaving just before midnight and getting back around 7 Sunday morning. No sleep. Found the basement flooded due to a malfunctioning heat pump that's clogged up and not draining the condensate. It was even blowing it up the air ducts and draining it out the joints of the ducts into the insulation, which has grown heavy black mold, and dripped water all over my shop stuff. I spent all day Sunday clearing out space around the heat pump so workmen can get in there. I think they'll basically have to rip out and replace it all. Fun, fun. I've been right back at work today, in a bit of a stupor, and am on call tonight.

Oh, yeah: Thursday night we (Mrs. R and I) went to hear Billy Bob Thornton and his band play at The House of Blues. Ol' Billy Bob's a pretty good singer, and he's surrounded by a terrific bunch of musicians, none of whom, unfortunately got introduced, and there seem to be some differences from the personnel listed on Billy Bob's website. There was a young fellow with dark hair who wore a guitar strap embossed with "Twang" when they were opening for themselves as the country group "The Boxmasters" who impressed me with his lap steel playing. Generally this band is just very good all around. If I criticized anything, it would be that sometimes they all do too much at the same time, when the music needs a little space to breathe, but that's a hazard of large groups. Billy Bob seems like a nice guy, he and the band were having fun, and the HOB is a small venue. Jane and I were on the floor with one couple between us and Billy Bob, so we had a good view. I brought home a couple of Boxmasters picks, which I'll keep as souvenirs since I'm not really a flatpicker sort anyway. Wish young Twang had gotten to play his lap steels more, I was really watching him and trying to learn from him. He was playing mostly major pentatonic stuff with lots of really fast slide ups and pulloffs, and on one of his lap steels he was using a steel that looks like a blade; I forget what you call that. He had three different lap steels and three different steels he played them with. The others were more conventional railroad track bars with sharp edged ends like a Stevens bar, which is probably what they were, but one had a more rounded bottom than the other. At least that's how they looked from where I stood. I'd've loved to have talked to him.

Too bad the sound system didn't work well in there. I couldn't clearly understand a single lyric that Billy Bob sang, and the instruments blurred together into sonic mush. I know those guys can really play, but they weren't shown off to best advantage. Some of the worst professional sound management I've ever run into, sad to say. I hoped it was a fluke, but today a couple of my office girls told me they'd had similar experiences with bad sound at the North Myrtle Beach House of Blues.

If you get a chance to go hear Billy Bob, do. Even with the poor sound, it was a great show!

I'm sorry I missed getting to hear Merle Haggard a few days earlier at the Alabama Theater; Mrs. R had a migraine.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 21/08/2007 12:26 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Great vacation report! I especially like the Red Footed Tortoise song.

I could sure stand two boring weeks at the beach! :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 21/08/2007 3:02 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Margaret!

I didn't realize earlier that the little fellow was in this room, asleep in the back corner behind my Hammond tone cabinet. He'd been turned loose by my daughter before I came home from work and went out to eat dinner with the kids to celebrate with them before Joe goes back to New York. She announced we needed to find him and all she knew was he was on this floor of the house. He turned up back there and I got him out with some difficulty. He'd found a nice secure hiding spot. Kept him on my lap a while and put him out in the sunroom where he snuggled up with some shoes and a towel so he'll be happy and easily findable in the morning.
8)

Boring's definitely not always bad.

The heat pump repairmen ought to be here tomorrow.

Posted : 21/08/2007 4:16 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Sure you had a great time, Ric.

I was wondering where Mr. Johnson was and its nice to see you here back.

Posted : 21/08/2007 10:26 am
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Sounds like you had a great time, Ric. It's always good to get the ol' batteries recharged with a nice holiday. I'm planning one very soon too! :D

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 21/08/2007 1:28 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Ricochet! Good report on the visit to The House of Blues! :D

Posted : 21/08/2007 2:05 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Welcome back Richochet! So I may not be the first to think about asking, but did you allow any time for playing (with) your Johnson? :oops: :roll: :twisted:

Jim-Bone

Posted : 21/08/2007 4:55 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good to see you back, Ric! Hope your batteries are fully recharged and you're ready to slide back in.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/08/2007 5:52 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Didn't take the big Johnson. Carried my lap steel and tiny little Danelectro HoneyTone to save space in the van. Couldn't find the Dano wall wart, but the one made for my old Cateye bicycle headlamp works perfectly with it. Saves on 9V batteries.

Posted : 21/08/2007 5:53 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I was just thinking, Ricochet hasn't been around for a bit. Then I said to myself, I bet he's on vacation at the beach again. It is summer! :lol: Well, it's summer where you are. I've been on vacation the past 6 days and it has yet to get above 70. Middle 60's most everyday and 40's last night. Some of you folks down south might think that feels nice having it cool in the summer, but realise this is as good as it gets up here. I want 90! Glad to hear from you Ric! Now I want to go to the beach ... just not one up here. :P

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 21/08/2007 7:57 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It was running around 100°F (near 40°C) most afternoons where I was. Signs in front of banks and such were saying it was down to about 85° by midnight. About the same back home, and dry as a bone. We got a big storm one afternoon at the beach that blew away all the gear of the unwary beachgoers who hadn't packed it in in time, and fortunately didn't fry anyone when lightning struck in the surf 20 yards offshore right in front of the lifeguard stand next to our condo. I saw it hit from upstairs. It got the last folks off the beach pronto!

We got a big storm here this afternoon. Knocked out the power for an hour. Just as I was about to do a Pap. Glad it didn't happen after starting that. Glad we got some rain, even if it was of the torrential sort.

Got the heat pump problem sorted today by a HVAC professional I trust, he thinks the system is basically sound and fixed it with a new pump to drain the condensate. My contractor/handyman thinks the water hasn't permanently messed up anything major in the house structure and it will dry out. I got off cheap.
:D

Posted : 22/08/2007 1:56 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Way to go Ric, great report.
I envy you and the nice warm weather, we are still in the grips of winter down here

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 22/08/2007 2:19 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

We'll be in the grip of winter, envying your nice warm weather soon enough, Paul. :D

Posted : 22/08/2007 2:48 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Good report

No mention if you wore a bikini or a one piece ..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 22/08/2007 4:55 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

No mention if you wore a bikini or a one piece ..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or if it was a nude beach...
:P

Posted : 22/08/2007 2:01 pm