42 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Ok the other guitar player is definitely out so I decided to send him an email and apologize for whatever I did.

Well he sends me back the reply and says that I had nothing to do with him not continuing he said he doesn't like the music and wants to play more G&R, Zep, Ozzy, Deep Purple etc., and that he's been playing to long to be playing Kings of Leon, Better than Ezra, Black keys.

And he wants to come by and play with me sometime so I think we are good and probably never had a problem in the first place.

In some ways I'd like to play that stuff to but for one Zep and G&R are very hard to sing so I don't know if we could ever find someone to do it justice or even how well that would go over in a bar. I'm sure a lot of guys would like it but I don't people are going to be dancing to it but I also realize the stuff we are playing isn't very difficult either.

So looks like we are moving on without him. The drummers good friend who I have played with many times cuz he's friends with other guys we used to play with is one of the best guitarists around and he is trying to gt him to join if he does it'll be a home run.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 10/10/2012 4:24 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

...and to be honest it really doesn't matter to me what the bass player does (who listens to the bassline anyway... :lol: )

:evil:

Yea, well I've never seen any chicks dancing to a guitar solo. Take that! :D

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 11/10/2012 12:02 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Ok the other guitar player is definitely out so I decided to send him an email and apologize for whatever I did.

Well he sends me back the reply and says that I had nothing to do with him not continuing he said he doesn't like the music and wants to play more G&R, Zep, Ozzy, Deep Purple etc., and that he's been playing to long to be playing Kings of Leon, Better than Ezra, Black keys.

And he wants to come by and play with me sometime so I think we are good and probably never had a problem in the first place.

In some ways I'd like to play that stuff to but for one Zep and G&R are very hard to sing so I don't know if we could ever find someone to do it justice or even how well that would go over in a bar. I'm sure a lot of guys would like it but I don't people are going to be dancing to it but I also realize the stuff we are playing isn't very difficult either.

So looks like we are moving on without him. The drummers good friend who I have played with many times cuz he's friends with other guys we used to play with is one of the best guitarists around and he is trying to gt him to join if he does it'll be a home run.

That's good to hear. You never know what will happen down the road, he may call you for another gig years from now.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 11/10/2012 12:04 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK.. so one way to keep out of drama is to also keep a pretty close eye on those around you and learn who you can talk to about what.... That being said... Might want to keep a eye on the guy that said the other gutarist left becouse of you.. Just a thought..

Paul B

Posted : 11/10/2012 8:51 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Jeff only joking man we love da bass...but you're right who dances to guitar solo's for that matter.

Paul, I hear you. He is a bit on the sensitive side and not sure about keeping an eye on him but I do realize I have to be careful what I say to other people because he might get the wrong impression.

Maybe the other guy is just being nice to me so he won't hurt my feelings but I don't know I never thought there was a problem in the first place and I found it hard to believe it was so bad that he would quit over it.

Anyway looks like all is good fo rnow, worst case we look for a new guitar player, we have practice again tonight with the new drummer.

Posted : 11/10/2012 10:59 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

...and to be honest it really doesn't matter to me what the bass player does (who listens to the bassline anyway... :lol: )

I had to make sure my son didn't see this one. :lol:

The gospel according to ThunderFingers:
"There are bassists and there are bass players ...... I however am a Bass Guitarist!"

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 11/10/2012 2:16 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Ha TR that's a good one. I'll be a little honest before I started playing guitar I really never paid much attention to the bassline of a song unless it really stood out.

Even alot of the guitar parts in a song I never really heard until I had to learn how to play the songs and had to really listen to what was going on.

A little update we practiced again with the new drummer and his friend the extremely talented guitarist came by and played 4-5 songs with us. This guy is crazy good probably to good for us but he's also always has a bunch of things going on so I'm not sure really sure he's a good fit in terms of comitting.

Personally I think we should start looking for a new guitarist now and if the other guy decides to join then he's in if not we won't waste time waiting for him to decide which the drummer wants to do.

We'll see how it pans out. I'm keeping a low profile so as not to tick anyone off.

Posted : 12/10/2012 12:38 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Hey cnev :D

Who would be in a band eh? :D

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary hastle..but I think all bands must have that. I know we do!

Does your band have a tight nucleus of members, by that I mean, two or three of you that are solid friends with a good understanding of each other, or are you are acquaintances brought together by music?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 12/10/2012 10:13 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The core now is myself, bass and singer and we were just brought together through the music, I would have preferred if we had been friends but it didn't work out that way.

I got another email from the other guitar player saying the drummer who just left is looking for a singer and told me to look for an email soon about starting something new. I might try it since I know it will be kind of part time with the drummers schedule so it shouldnt interfere with whats happening now.

At least the good news is I wasnt the problem in the first place.

Posted : 13/10/2012 2:16 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I had to make sure my son didn't see this one. :lol:

The gospel according to ThunderFingers:
"There are bassists and there are bass players ...... I however am a Bass Guitarist!"
Uh Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! ThunderFingers saw this ...... he want's to know if you can play Joe Satriani's Always With You Always With Me?

http://youtu.be/oNKAzL-_Lrw

Posted : 16/10/2012 1:43 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

They only thing that gets listened to less than the bassline is any song by Joe Satriani... :shock:

Posted : 16/10/2012 2:37 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

http://youtu.be/oNKAzL-_Lrw

Well, I think finger style bass on this piece is impressive.

Posted : 17/10/2012 3:18 am
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Ahhhh..."band drama" :D I believe in taking the "high road" although that is difficult sometimes. One thing I've learned over the years is I ONLY value the opinions of those who I respect. What I mean by that is if my guitar instructor gives me negative feedback it MEANS something to me. If some drunk in the crowd says something negative (or positive) it really doesn't carry weight w/me.

This also applies to my previous band members. I'm still friends w/many previous band members and some I haven't stayed in contact with. Those who I've stayed in contact with I DO respect & value their opinions of my currenct projects. After I left Life Is Drama one of the members started doing a "character assassination" of me. Why that was neccessary I don't know but what are you going to do?? I don't know what's been said and it really doesn't matter to me b/c (1) there's nothing I can do about it & (2) his audience is small and not very influencial.

So...I'll just take the "high road" & move on. I seem to find A LOT of support when I do this and I'm MUCH happier this way!! :D Maybe that's why I have a good reputation among other musicians & I'm finding people who've actually HEARD of me...(still weird to me). :D

I hope your band gets that new guitar player and everything works out for the best for you guys. Life is too short to deal w/petty band drama.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 17/10/2012 3:28 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Tommy you are right on. I really have tried to avoid the band drama and have got caught in the middle a little but I don't burn bridges and I don't run around talking about any of that stuff to other people partly because it's so childish I'm embarassed to even be part of it.

But you have to assume there will be some type of drama (maybe not the best word) at some point, when you are dealing with multiple personalities for long periods of time. If you think you will be immune to it you are naive. It's almost like a marriage and how many marriages are problem free...maybe like very few, so you have to expect and know how to deal with it whether that is walking away or trying to fix it.

With all the things that go into being able to get a band together in the first place (years spent practicng etc) it's a shame it all can crumble over the stupidest things and it takes the fun out of everything. The worst part for me is the constant starting all over which is where we are now.

I haven't played as many shows as you so my name isn't out there necessarily but I don't think I'd have a problem finding other people to play with if I ever choose that route.

Posted : 17/10/2012 4:38 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

I hear you!! Starting over again & again is the WORST part of being in a band!!! I've been fortunate the last couple of years flowing from one band into another and still gigging regularly. Now I'm looking at starting over again too...this time I'm being picky as to what project I join up with. :wink:

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 17/10/2012 4:57 pm
Page 2 / 3